Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 01:15:23

ASADM

Complex Multiplication OR Toric Varieties?

Hi guys,

I need to pick a project for my Masters soon & I know exactly which lecturer I want to supervise me (he's AWESOME! :-D )

He's offering 2 projects that I can choose from - one of Complex Multiplication of Elliptic Curves with a little bit of Hodge Theory towards the end & one on Toric Varieties.

I've chatted with him about them, but still can't decide which to go with as he says they shall both be "very interesting" & "very fun".

Does anyone have an opinion on these 2 areas & can help me decide between them?

Any help would be most appreciated! :-)

#2 2009-03-13 08:58:12

Ricky

Re: Complex Multiplication OR Toric Varieties?

I really can't speak on either of these subjects as I am no geometer (no matter how fascinating I find the subject).  But it really all depends on you and what you find fascinating.  Because I'm an algebraist I'd go with the Toric varieties.  This is really nothing more than personal choice.

Robert Frost be damned, you can look into both subjects to get a feel first before deciding which road you'll travel.  Have you seen some elliptic curves and algebraic geometry?  I'd go by which ever you find more interesting.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer