Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-07-12 09:28:36

Ricky

Re: Name a species...

Thanks for checking the numbers identity.

I don't know which species would survive, but an ice age has occurred before, and obviously certain species did survive.

It's worse than that (for the person who wants to kill everything big_smile ).  There is evidence to suggest that at one point in time the entire surface of the Earth was covered in ice.  It has been hypothesized that life survived this time period in the water near the equator where the ice was thin enough to let the sun light through.  I would imagine that life would also have survived in deep ocean vents, if it was there at that time.  I don't really recall, I'd have to do some research on it.

Life can be rather... stubborn. lol

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#27 2009-07-12 09:55:36

Ricky

I think suicidal bombardment is the 'best' way humans could try to eradicate another species. They would succeed with most species, but not with all.

Certainly it would be the "finale".  But there is plenty of destruction we could do before hand.  For example, build a massive city in some resource rich country like US, Russia, or China.  This could be a base of operations, and it's sole purpose would be (1) to keep the population alive (i.e. food, water, etc) and (2) produce nukes, jets, and other weapons of destruction.

But instead of sending all the nukes at once, we could instead just do an area at a time.  The great thing about radiation is that nothing will be able to grow there for 100 years or so.  Any plants that do try to reemerge will be killed, any seeds that attempt to lie dormant likewise.  Now there is an awful lot of life underground (deep underground) that won't be immediately effected.  I'm thinking along the lines of bacteria.  But even that should be killed off by radiation, no?

So how many nukes would it take to cover all the earth?

In the meantime, we could be thinking of other ways too.  Is it possible to mass produce bromine, or some other extremely toxic chemicals?  How much DDT would it take to eliminate life in the ocean?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#28 2009-07-12 10:28:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Ricky;

Do you really believe that we could survive as the only species left. Even if we achieved that idea, don't plants produce all the world oxygen. Biologists worry about removing a single species from the food chain and you speak of killing everything.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#29 2009-07-12 10:47:57

Ricky

bobby, you're still missing the point.  In this thought experiment (which started out as species but very quickly became the entire world), we are trying to eliminate all life.

It's a game, and nothing more.  Have you never played a game where you had to kill other people?  Same idea, not real.

Edit: And I would like to correct one misconception.  Cyanobacteria are responsible for producing the majority of the Earth's oxygen, not plants.  Indeed, it was cyanobacteria which changed primordial earth from it's harsh atmosphere where aerobic bacteria thrived into the oxygen rich atmosphere we have today.

#30 2009-07-12 11:11:44

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Ricky;

No, growing up in a really big metropolis, I saw people actually killing other people. Still shouldn't a game be in keeping with scientific and economic possibility. Unless you are writing a cartoon, we draw a big hammer and use it to smash the earth. Fine for Bugs Bunny but not realistic.

No need for a correction these bacteria are the forerunners of plants. They derive energy through photosynthesis. Also the rainforests contribute about a quarter of the earths oxygen.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-07-12 11:44:51)

#31 2009-07-14 16:43:55

Tigeree

My goodness! You guys haven't  quoted each other since three posts ago! My cartoon! Thanx for that reminder, bobby. I must actually draw it! I'll tell you what it's about, it's when the dinosaurs went extinct, and about the meteor shower theory. The meteors start to hit the earth and there's a Brachiosaurus and his jaw drops and he says "Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!" big_smile

Last edited by Tigeree (2009-07-14 16:48:55)

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#32 2009-07-15 06:40:44

soroban

#33 2009-07-15 07:29:48

Ricky

Still shouldn't a game be in keeping with scientific and economic possibility.

Why restrict yourself to the real world?

Also the rainforests contribute about a quarter of the earths oxygen.

Where is that number from?

Soroban, that sounds frighteningly familiar to a common creationist argument.  See this video.

#34 2009-07-15 13:14:30

careless25
Real Member

how bout killing the roaches!!!
they survive radiation, being frozen and a lot more!

#35 2009-07-15 17:12:31

Tigeree

faint Interesting theory, soroban.

Roaches also survive without their head for some time.

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#36 2009-07-16 03:06:57

bobbym
bumpkin

Ricky wrote:

Where is that number from?

http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainforest

Ricky wrote:

Why restrict yourself to the real world?

It is probably beneficial to maintain contact with the real world at least once a day. I find that this works for me. Also it is useful in conversation as their are common frameworks of reference.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-07-16 03:15:48)

Board footer