Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-07 10:32:56

Diessence

Trig Angle Problem

If anyone can help me solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking at it all day and cant for the life of me work out how to do it (it may not even be possible with only the variables I have)

I am trying to calcuate the angle 'Y'. I have labeled everything that I know. One thing that may not be clear is that lines D and E are NOT parallel.

Feel free to make any new shapes, distances, angles (by using the given variables) that you feel may be necessary to find an answer for angle Y.

I am pretty sure the answer is going to be pretty complicated. Feel free to ask any questions to anything that may not be clear.

#2 2009-09-07 12:16:51

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Trig Angle Problem

Hi Diessence;

To tell you the truth except for the 5 right angles you haven't given any info to solve the problem. Are any line segments equal are any angles? Any lines parallel? Are there any relationships at all?
I need more info.

Last edited by bobbym (2009-09-07 12:17:36)

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-09-07 15:32:37

Diessence

Re: Trig Angle Problem

Sorry.. I forgot to show the angle I wanted calculated.  Everything that is labeled is what I know (except for angle Y) and they will all have different values.  There are no parallel lines either (except for the ones that make up the square in the middle)

Board footer