Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 12:30:33

hopless guy

help plz

Hey everyone, Im taking a course in Discrete math and am having a hard time with some of these topics.  For instance,  Im given

[ B' ∪ (B' - A) ] = B

Im asked to prove this by set identities.  Im lost as to what direction to take?  Can someone lend a helping hand?

Thanks alot in advance!

#2 2009-10-20 15:06:43

soroban

Re: help plz

#3 2009-10-20 15:36:22

hopless guy

sorry . i didn't know how to type it , so i just copy paste parts from different places ..  i'll re-write it informaly in sentences:

[ complement of (B) U ( complement of (B) - A ) ]complement

notice that there is a (c) over the outer braces ..

thank you so much for your time and effort ..

---------------

actuly there is another one that i found out that we have to hand it to our TA , which is :

( A - B ) - ( B - C ) = A - B

thanx in advance

#4 2009-10-20 17:46:59

Ricky

Since B' - A is contained in B', you can easily simplify the inside to just one term.  Try to take it from there.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2009-10-20 17:55:46

hopless guy

sorry man , for the first one , i couldn't get it at all ,, i tried all the laws , but i was getting somewhere else , and sometimes i end up by going to the first step again ,
if you can kindly help me with the first one i'll appriciate it ,, P.S: the whole set is equal to B .. so we have to prove that it's equal to B

------------------------------

the second one looks easier , with some hints i might be able to do it ..

--------------------

i appriciate your time smile

#6 2009-10-21 10:10:20

Ricky

Do you see that

?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer