Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 07:22:39

Als

Statistics problem

Hello smile

Could you please help me with this problem on statistics? Thanks so much smile

It has been suggested that showing the face of the speaker in a computer package that teaches a foreign language leads to improved memory of words and phrases. To investigate this, a study was undertaken whereby 24 post-beginners to the Polish language were divided randomly into one of two groups. Members from the two groups were each asked to sit in front of a computer which then presented them with 20 words and phrases and gave their English translation together with a sentence that put them into context. The words and phrases were each presented twice.

The participants who were in Group 1 saw the words on screen and heard them being read out, but no face was shown on screen.

The participants who were in Group 1 saw the words on screen and heard them being read out by a speaker whose face was shown.

Both groups took a 15 minute break after their exercise and were then given a piece of paper with the words and phrases typed and participants were given 5 minutes to write down the English translation. The experimenters were interested in comparing these two methods of learning foreign language words.

Number of correctly translated words for the members in each group:

Group 1 (no face) Group 2(face)
12                            16
8                              10
11                            13....

(a) Use SPSS to perform an appropriate t-test for this experiment.

(b) Use SPSS to perform and appropriate non-parametric test for this experiment.

(c) You are asked by the experimenters to advise them on which test would be the most suitable to be applied to these data Discuss how you would advise them.

What are the appropriate tests for q(a), (b), (c)?dunno

Thank youu!!:D

#2 2009-10-21 18:29:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Statistics problem

Hi Als;

I don't use SPSS but I could do a t-test, if I had the data. Trouble is I can't make any sense out of that table you have provided. Is there more data. Can you label it clearer?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-10-24 09:28:39

Als

Thank you but there's no need to be bothered with these tests... I've figure it out smile

However do you know how we assess normality using a dotplot? hmm

#4 2009-10-24 11:03:44

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi ALs;

Yes, a dotplot is sometimes useful to assess normality in a sample of small size. Typically around 10 or maybe 15.

This is what I read a little while back. It starts off slow but he does give a pretty good explanation.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/m … 37042.html

Last edited by bobbym (2009-10-24 11:04:06)

#5 2009-10-24 14:19:37

Als

Thank you, thank you... actually, I don't think I can thank you enough big_smile big_smile

#6 2009-10-24 17:35:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Als;

Glad to help. Post if you need more.

Board footer