Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-13 11:38:16

kramwerdan

Volume created by rotating a triangle around an axis

I think I know the answer but am looking for a proof.

If a triangle is rotated around an axis to form a volume at some distance R, I think that the volume will be the area of the triangle multiplied by the length of the path traced out by the triangle's centroid.

Last edited by kramwerdan (2009-11-13 11:48:34)

#2 2009-11-14 02:36:48

adityakumar

Re: Volume created by rotating a triangle around an axis

question is not much clear. but what I have understood according to that your method is incorrect. I have understood that a triangle(i.e. it's centroid) is situated at a distance R from an axis(which can be anything). & then you are rotating it about the axis. If this is the case then answer depends on the angle that triangle makes with the line joining the axis(point on axis at the same level as centroid) & centorid.
anyone can ask any question related to co-ordinate geometry, conic sections(circle,straight lines, ellipse,parabola, hyperbola),quadratic equations etc. at
aditya.kumariitp@gmail.com

Last edited by adityakumar (2009-11-14 02:46:52)

anyone can ask any question related to co-ordinate geometry, conic sections(circle,straight lines, ellipse,parabola, hyperbola),quadratic equations etc. at
aditya.kumariitp@gmail.com

Board footer