Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-29 08:41:38

ineedhelpwithcalc

What is a Matrix?

What is a matrix?

I really don't know. Everywhere I go they just say "a table of numbers", but, t hat can't be it, can it? I mean there must be some kind of meaning to just a table of numbers, otherwise things like matrix algebra could just have been made up? i don't know.

Can some kind soul help me please? thanks!

#2 2009-11-29 09:35:13

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: What is a Matrix?

Hi ineedhelpwithcalc;

For a historical viewpoint I think matrices were invented by the great Arthur Cayley.

I may get blasted with this but that is a fairly good definition of what a matrix is: A table of numbers. It is the operations that are done to them that are important. Please go here first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_%28mathematics%29

http://www.sosmath.com/matrix/matrix.html

See what you can pick up there. Then come back with any question.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-11-29 10:47:11

Ricky

Re: What is a Matrix?

What is a matrix?

I mean there must be some kind of meaning to just a table of numbers, otherwise things like matrix algebra could just have been made up?

What is a number?
I mean there must be some kind of meaning to just a number, otherwise things like number algebra could just have been made up?

A matrix is for the most part meaningless by itself, just like a number is.  But we can assign meaning to numbers by have the numbers represent certain things: such as the number of apples I have in my fridge.  It is the same way with matrices.  Matrices can be used to represent certain things in specific contexts: A linear transformation, a graph, or the pixels in a photo.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer