Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-04 05:40:43

MathDummy

Expression help needed

I have zero math knowledge and I'm trying to learn how to solve a problem that I think requires an expression.
However my first problem is with defining the problem and explaining it with my poor English as a second language. So please bear with me.

I'm learning a 3D animation program that allows controlling animation with expressions.

I have an object, let's call it A,  that can rotate along an axis  infinitely,  making multiple full 360˚ rounds which could be any positive or negative value of degrees indicating the direction of rotation, current angle, and number of rounds made (which is the whole number when the value is divided by 360).
I also have another object, let's call it B, that rotates along the same axis as A, but is restricted to rotate  from 0˚ to 180˚ using positive values and then back to 0˚ using negative values. And it can do this in the opposite way too, first going through the negative values which affects the direction of rotation.
There is a relationship between the rotation of A and B. When A rotates one full 360˚ round, B is making  one loop as described above. If the direction of rotation of A is with positive values, B starts its loop with positive values too and vice-versa.
Now here's the problem. I want to create an expression that will result in a value, let's call it C, which will be C = rotational value of A minus rotational value of B. So that the expression will produce a value when the rotation of object A changes.

I will greatly appreciate your help with this and please let me know if you think I'm not describing the problem clearly.
Thank you

Board footer