Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-07 04:16:38

LQ
Real Member

How far out will the moon be able to orbit earth before it collides?

As an accident. And when will it happen? Because the moon is not getting further in, it's getting further out, and I believe not many planets have moons that far out, so it would collide by accident most likely. When? because if it leaves the earth, wouldn't it seemingly get the same orbit as the earth. Mathematically I believe it could get no other orbit. Since the meteors probably comes from the sides, so that's where it gets its momentum. And then it's never gonna go out, nor in, it's gonna have the same orbit around the sun as earth...?

Last edited by LQ (2009-12-07 04:30:15)

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#2 2009-12-07 04:54:14

Identity

Re: How far out will the moon be able to orbit earth before it collides?

I think it will either run away or fall into the sun. I don't think it has the right angular momentum to be able to orbit the sun.

#3 2009-12-07 05:18:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Agreed, I think it is highly unlikely that it won't just be pulled into the sun, or drift off into space.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2009-12-07 07:21:56

LQ
Real Member

but it has the same speed as the earth though?

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

Board footer