Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-07 08:06:45

Matricesyay

Ok ,, so i can do basic matrix operations

ok i know how to add subtract multiply divide matrices.

what should i learn to do next ?

matrices is really interesting, but i dunno what i have to learn next. we're not learning this in school i just want to pursue my fascination with matrices, but i dont know what the next step to learn on matrices is.

thanks
bye

#2 2009-12-07 08:18:07

Ricky

Re: Ok ,, so i can do basic matrix operations

What grade are you and what math class are you currently in?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2009-12-07 08:25:07

Matricesyay

bit about me - im in year 10 (uk) age 14. since i was 10 years of age ive been looking at calculus etc and a-level modules (well, mainly calculus and mechanics, statistics is so boring). unfortunately my school wont let me do my a-level early so im just left to study in my own time. im currently doing my gcses. my math teacher is horrible and its really taking the mick to be honest, all these people my age learning about factoring and fractions when i just wanna learn about some cooler things, like vector calculus for example, and matrices which ive heard about before but i just started learning 2 days ago

so can anyone tell me anything about matrices ? i googled "inverting matrices" which i ll read about now , but what else should i do? i dont think matrices is in the a-level curriculum either :s

#4 2009-12-07 08:50:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Matricesyay;

Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you are heading for a career in Physics or at least something related. So first try to get rid of this:

statistics is so boring

It isn't boring or even difficult. It is necessary for modern physics.

Cool, that you are starting so young. But are you sure you have absorbed everything fundamental?

I admire that you are capable of studying theory for its own sake, I need a problem to stimulate me into studying anything. Next step for you if you are comfortable with matrix arithmetic is linear algebra. There you will learn the 2 most important uses of matrices, the solution of simultaneous equations and the finding of eigenvalues. Can you pick up the Gil Strang book on Linear Algebra? Or you can attend his lecture on youtube.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer