Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-10 12:40:09

sixzilliondots

Averages

First off thank you all in advance! So glad I found this place.

Also please do NOT tell me the answer, I don't want the answers I just want to know HOW to go about solving them for myself. I know that with averages you typically add all the numbers together then divide by the numbers you added. But these have me stumped.

At a certain high school, the respective weights for the following subjects are: Mathematics 3, English 3, History 2, Science 2 and Art 1.
What is a student's average whose marks were the following: Geometry 89, American Literature 92, American History 94, Biology 81, and Sculpture 85?

---------------

In a college, some courses contribute more towards an overall GPA than other courses. For example, a science class is worth 4 points; mathematics is worth 3 points; history is worth 2 points; and English is worth 3 points. the values of the grade letters are as follows, A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. What is the GPA of a student who made a "C" in Trigonometry, a "B" in American History, an "A" in Botany, and a "B" in Microbiology?

I understand the concept of adding the numbers together and then dividing but do I add the weights in the first section into the averages and then divide by 5 or what? Do I ignore the GPA points for the classes or add them in and then do I divide by 4 or 8 on the second one?  Please like I said please just explain HOW to solve this, not the answer. Thank you very much!

#2 2009-12-10 12:49:22

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Averages

Hi sixzilliondots;

You have used the term weights. Typically you multiply the weights times the score, If I said w1 =3 was the weight of A and w2=5 was the weight of B and A was 55 and B was 60, you would say  to get the average.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2009-12-10 14:11:36

soroban

At a certain high school, the respective weights for the following subjects are:
. . Mathematics 3, English 3, History 2, Science 2 and Art 1.
What is a student's average whose marks were:
. . Math 89, English 92, History 94, Science 81, and Art 85?

. .

. . .

. .

. . .

#4 2009-12-14 05:37:52

sixzilliondots

Thank you so much, yes I've got it!

Board footer