Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-06 15:56:09

kendricktamis

Java vs C++ which one is better in game programming?

Hi all! this is my first time to posting a question, i hope all of you will help me. Thanks a lot all..
Well, now i am very confuse about which programming language (java or c++) is better in game programming? i would like to learn on making a game, but still i am confused on choosing the programming language, please give me some suggestion. Thank you.

#2 2010-04-06 17:08:37

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Java vs C++ which one is better in game programming?

Hi;

Writing a game is difficult and it will require that you gain some familiarity with whatever language you pick before trying. I preferred C++ over Java but that was a long time ago. It may be that Java has surpassed it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2010-04-06 17:41:44

Ricky

It may be that Java has surpassed it.

One cannot order languages.  Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people describe one language as being "better" or "more advanced" than another.  Purpose is the main factor which should determine which language to use.  After this is preference, which should really only be considered if there are two (approximately) equally good options (as is normally the case when deciding between Python and Perl, for example).

i would like to learn on making a game, but still i am confused on choosing the programming language, please give me some suggestion.

How much programming have you done in the past?  I suspect none, and if that's the case, realize that learning to program games takes a lot of work.  Don't let this deter you though, anyone can do it, as long as you're willing to put the work in.

As for which language you should learn, it all depends on what kind of game.  But once you learn one language, it will be very easy to learn the other.  So do you know what game you want to make yet?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2010-04-06 18:59:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi all;

Ricky wrote:

One cannot order languages.  Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people describe one language as being "better" or "more advanced" than another

Actually, I agree. I hate it when I hear someone say his language is the best. What I meant was maybe it has surpassed it in acceptance or popularity. Sorry for being ambiguous.

Usually, there is a time honored path to learning programming. It starts with the learning of some dialect of BASIC.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2010-04-07 02:33:55

Ricky

Usually, there is a time honored path to learning programming. It starts with the learning of some dialect of BASIC.

Now-a-days we teach the vast majority of students C++ or Java as a first language.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer