Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-03 12:50:49

mikau

the wierd "w"

I'm pretty sure its called omega, it looks like a w drawn with curves. Or kind of like a horizontal "8"

I've seen this symbol several times. What does it mean? My mathbook used it once to stand for radians per second, in angular velocity problems. But I tend to see it a lot in places where its meaning appears to be undefined.

What does this symbol stand for? Is it just used for variables or does it always mean the same thing?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2005-09-03 18:47:20

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: the wierd "w"

It is omega, and looks a little like w.
In physics, omega stands for angular velocity.
w = dθ /dt where θ is angular displacement and t is time.
In many electricity/magnetism formulae, 2*pi*w is found.
The unit of angular velocity is radians and 2*pi radians is equal to 360 degrees.
Interestingly, alpha is angular acceleration, dw/dt or d²θ /dt².
The Greek alphabets are used to represent various parameters in Physics, like mu is refractive index, rho is specific gravity (and specific resistance too), lambda is wavelenght etc.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2005-09-07 11:33:06

mikau

Re: the wierd "w"

Right then. What do alpha, beta, and gamma stand for in matrices?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

Board footer