Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-20 14:32:07

soha
Real Member

rubber ball..

A rubber ball weighing 0.06 kg is dropped on the ground from a height of 1.2 m. After colliding with the ground, the ball rises to a height of 0.3 m .Assuming that the ball was in contact with the ground for 0.01 second,calculate the force exerted by the ball on the ground.

"Let us realize that: the privilege to work is a gift, the power to work is a blessing, the love of work is success!" smile smile
- David O. McKay

#2 2010-05-20 22:46:52

irspow

Re: rubber ball..

Well that is more physics than math big_smile

Here is the formula you will be using to solve the question:

Ft=p;  F=force, t=time, p=momentum or mv (mass times velocity)

* note that we will really be talking about average Force during the collision and the change in momentum over that time period (impulse)

Ft=mv=p

F=p/t

The v (velocity) just before impact and just after impact needs to be found first.

Veloctiy at impact is found by using:

Now to find the velocity just after leaving the ground

Finding delta v and multiplying this to the mass will give us the p we were looking for:

Plugging p into our origianl impluse equation

This is the average force that occurs during contact with the ground.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by irspow (2010-05-20 23:26:48)

I am at an age where I have forgotten more than I remember, but I still pretend to know it all.

#3 2010-05-22 23:27:00

soha
Real Member

Re: rubber ball..

Is it possible to solve this using the general laws of motion or using Newton's law??? or any other easy way???

"Let us realize that: the privilege to work is a gift, the power to work is a blessing, the love of work is success!" smile smile
- David O. McKay

Board footer