Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-10 05:31:12

wierdling

cos and tan functions

hi i have the problem

cos20=tan24

what do i do 2 solve it and what can i do for in future if i dont no the different angles these are not the easy angles (45,30 and 60)

any help will be gladly apreciated i am strugling with my trig
thanx.

#2 2010-11-10 05:49:54

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: cos and tan functions

Hi wierdling;

weirdling wrote:

cos20=tan24

There is nothing to solve. We can solve for equations that have variables in them. But yours does not.
Yours is a statement and it is false in both degrees and radians. It is like saying today is friday, which is also false.

Have you copied the problem correctly? Neatness and accuracy are 50% of doing well at math!

Tell ya a story:

I loved my math classes, one of my instructors was a certain Miss Zebrak. DDG! What could be better than math and miss Z.
Along comes mid terms and I hand in a dynamite paper. She flunks me! Back then and there you could go see the instructor
and beg after being flunked. "Miss Z, why did you give me a failing mark? I love this class (boo hoo, sob, sob)."
She says, "after grading 139 papers, all of them neat and readable then I get to yours, I just gave up." "Do you ever try to read your own work?"
"Well no," I said. So I wiped my eyes and went home and dug up some of my old stuff. Could not read a word of it, my own stuff!
It was a hopeless mess of bad handwriting and math strewn out across the page at all angles, and at all sizes. I mean I even wrote  upside down to save space.
For some reason I thought the smaller the work the better so I would try to solve problems in the area of a postage stamp!

Now if only I would have done well on that midterm. Miss Z would have fallen in love with me and we would have lived happily ever after in mathland.

Moral is math is a language and if we do not all speak the same language...

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2010-11-12 00:04:07

wierdling

thanx for the info my mats teacher gave us a paper to work through for the exam and forgot the memo and i cant get hold of her so thanx for the informasion much apreciated

#4 2010-11-12 06:58:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Do you have some of the questions that will be asked I will go over those with you.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer