Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-09 04:41:25

rcwitt

College Algebra

Hopefully, someone can help me. I just started back to college after 30+ years and was given homework simplifying expressions. I haven't had any problem until I hit the following problem. Hopefully, someone can help me out with it. I have several more like it, so I just need to understand how to solve it and I can continue on my own.

The problem is:

5*2-3exp2
_________
[3exp2 - (-2)]exp2

I will try to write it out:

5 time 2 minus 3 squared over bracketed 3 squared minus negative 2 (in parenthesis) Bracket squared

I am looking at the problem rewritten out as this:

5*2-3exp2 divided by [3exp2 - (-2_]exp2

But that doesn't work out right using the order of operations.

I am at a complete standstill on this and I have been trying to figure it out for so long that the numbers are starting to get mixed up in my head.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlie

Last edited by rcwitt (2010-12-09 04:45:43)

#2 2010-12-09 05:01:39

Bob
Administrator

Re: College Algebra

hi rcwitt,

At the start of the help section there's a 'course in using Latex'.  It'll take a little longer but it will let you show your question like this:

So what next?

Work out the four parts top and bottom

Then simplify top and bottom

That's enough if you want a fractional answer, or convert to a decimal

If you have understood that, how about trying another and posting it so I can check it.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2010-12-09 05:20:58)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2010-12-09 05:15:59

rcwitt

Okay, I understand now. I was writing the problem out with the division included (as opposed to calculating the top number first and then the bottom number and writing it out as a fraction). I can figure it out now. Incidentally, you had a typo in the problem which leads to a wrong answer - you had (9+4) squared, when it should have been (9+2) squared), but, I didn't actually want the answer - I wanted to understand the principal involed in solving it, which you showed perfectly clearly. Thanks. The answer, as I figure it should be 1/121, correct?

Charlie

#4 2010-12-09 05:20:36

Bob
Administrator

hi rcwitt

I'm glad you've understood the principle.  Sorry about the typo.  My excuse is that what you read was my third or fouth go, with edits between, because I kept getting in a muddle with what the question was.  And I forgot to edit that bit.  I had it with the square inside and outside the bracket .. hence the +4.

Let me try a definitive version (mainly for my own satisfaction).

So what next?

Work out the four parts top and bottom

Then simplify top and bottom

So, your answer is correct.  Well done. 

Incidentally, spotting the teacher's errors is an excellent way of showing you have got the right idea!

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2010-12-09 05:22:33)

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2010-12-09 12:37:54

rcwitt

Bob,
     Thanks for your kind reply. I really appreciate your help. As I said, it has been entirely too many years since I have sat in a classroom. I am probably 25 years older than my instructor. Once upon a time, I actually taught a high school GED class, so I should have been able to figure it out. But, lately, I seem to be discovering that I suffer from a progressive case of CRS (Can't Remember S&%t).

Thamk You,
Charlie

#6 2010-12-10 07:19:08

Bob
Administrator

hi Charlie,

You are very welcome.  I doubt you are that old or I'd have heard about you in the news.

I'm from Uk so you'll have to explain what GED is.

Bob

#7 2010-12-12 07:08:48

rcwitt

Bob,
     A GED is a Graduate Equivalency Diploma. Typically given to folks like me, who when they were young, made the mistake of not finishing high school and later wished to take the course and obtain the "equivalent" (in theory) of a diploma. In the US, you cannot attend college or a university without either a high school diploma or a GED.
     And, I really am not that old. But from experiencing life without an education (a lot of menial labor jobs), I feel old physically. I was recently diagnosed with three ruptured discs in my neck from decades of physical labor that have caught up with me. So, now I have been pretty much forced into a decision to go back to school and work towards another career field. I have chosen the IT (information technology) field, as I seem to have a natural aptitude for it.
     Thanks again for your help. Hopefully, I can return the favor to someone else here in the future.

Charlie

#8 2010-12-12 07:13:07

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi rcwitt;

I understand your situation perfectly. I hope you accomplish all your goals. Post on this forum whenever you get stuck.

Welcome to the forum!

rcwitt wrote:

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully, I can return the favor to someone else here in the future.

Hope you can experience that, seems those 30 years were not so menial. You have humilty, politeness and you know the value of knowledge. What an education you have had!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#9 2010-12-12 15:03:10

rcwitt

Bobbym,
     The education I have is one I picked up from years of dealing with people. I have actually spent the last 10 years in upper management for an international construction company. When dealing with people from many differring backgrounds, you learn to be polite. Also, I have spent a great deal of time online in the last 16 years, so I have a good understanding of "nettiquette".

Charlie

#10 2010-12-12 19:14:10

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Charlie;

I guess it would. Experience sure is a great teacher.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer