Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-14 00:54:04

aisha00

Help with web graphing calculator

Hi. I'm using a web graphing calculator and im very new to the graphing calculator so i'd appreciate it if sum1 cud temme how to get a horizintal shift on it. I tried doing y = (x^2+2) but it gives me vertical shift not horizontal. Can any1 temme whr im going wrong, I hav a project due tomorrow so please reply. Thankyou:).

P.S- This is the link to the calculator im using!

http://my.hrw.com/math06_07/nsmedia/tools/Graph_Calculator/graphCalc.html

Last edited by aisha00 (2010-12-14 01:00:28)

#2 2010-12-14 01:25:34

Bob
Administrator

Re: Help with web graphing calculator

hi aisha00

I'm not familiar with this model but I don't think that matters.

If you've found that y = (x^2 + 2) has made a vertical shift then you just need the x shift.

You can go 2 right by using y = (x - 2)^2, and 3 left by using y = (x + 3)^2

If you find it surprising that right shifts are -, and left shifts are +, don't worry, most people are surprised.  But try it; it works!

If that's not what you were after, please post again.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2010-12-14 01:26:20)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2010-12-14 02:16:04

aisha00

Yup i got it, thanx smile. And do u know how to find the cube root of x ? theres only square root given in this one. Even if u knw it on sum othr web calci its fine, lemme knw. Thanx a ton smile

#4 2010-12-14 02:31:21

Bob
Administrator

hi aisha00

Glad that worked.  Your graph site seems to have only limited features and I haven't found a way to get cube roots from it.

The 'maths is fun' graph plotter at

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/graph.html

will do it. 

You don't have to enter y =

Just the function of x

To get a cube root raise to the power one third like this:

x^(1/3)

[The brackets are important or it'll do x to the power one and then divide by 3.]

That will give you a cube root graph.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2010-12-14 03:52:51

aisha00

But why do i only get the graph starting from 0 to positive inifnity? Like the range is either greater than or equal to zero from the graph i get, BUT the buk says its all real numbers!

#6 2010-12-14 04:01:30

aisha00

Find some pair points on your functions and an explanation on how you trace the function and how to find any value for y for specific values for x.

Thats a question from the project tht im doing. Can u please tell me wht tracing the function means? I'm sorry for bothering u but im really clueless here.

#7 2010-12-14 04:04:03

Bob
Administrator

hi aisha00

You're right.  The graph should have negative values too (eg. cube root of -8 = -2)

That's the limitation of using a computer to do your thinking for you.  Sometimes it's just not programed to show all values.

The lesson is, always ask, 'is this what I expected?'

Trace usually means making a cursor go along the curve whilst a readout somewhere tells you the co-ordinates.

You can point at a place on the graph and get the co-ordinates.  I haven't found a trace facility with the MIF graph plotter.

The co-ordinates are given to lots and lots of decimal places and these are very sensitive to slight movements so you'll have to round off.

Is the project about particular graphs or about evaluating the plotting software?

The first graph plotter has got a trace button.  You can skip along the curve by pressing the arrow buttons and on the graph it gives co-ordinates to sensible accuracy.

ps.  I'm not feeling the least 'bothered' so keep posting! smile

pps  You aren't that clueless because you spotted that part of the cube root graph was missing.  I think that's a good sign you are showing understanding!!!

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2010-12-14 04:14:45)

#8 2010-12-14 23:09:10

aisha00

Ok so i tried tracing points using the calci 2 which i've posted the link. But i just get the origin points (0,0). I tried using diff types of graph but everytym i just get dose 2 points hmm

#9 2010-12-15 00:46:51

Bob
Administrator

hi Aisha,

Here's some screen shots to show what to do.

Aisha1.JPG

You make your graph and click the TRACE button.  A point shows (in this example) (0,0).

Then you click the right arrow button and the point moves a little and shows the new co-ordinates.

Aisha2.JPG

Here it is after 10 more clicks. 

Aisha3.JPG

Hope that helps

Bob

#10 2010-12-15 01:10:15

aisha00

Hahaha i feel dumb, thanx though smile

#11 2010-12-15 01:32:33

Bob
Administrator

You're welcome

image removed

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2010-12-16 07:42:50)

Board footer