Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-23 18:36:12

haiying

divisionnnnnn !!! HELP !!!

1)Make up a division story problem for the partitioning model. Make a diagram and explain why this problem is an example of the partitioning model.wave

2)Make up a division story problem for the repeated subtraction model. Make a diagram and explain why this problem is an example of the repeated subtraction mode.wave

#2 2011-02-23 22:25:32

Bob
Administrator

Re: divisionnnnnn !!! HELP !!!

hi haiying.

I've taught maths for 38 years and never heard of the 'partitioning model' by that name.  So I googled it and it looks like it's just what I would call 'short division'.  You 'partition' the dividend into hundreds tens and units and try to share the hundreds.  When you've done that you convert any remaining hundreds into tens, add these to the tens partition and share those.  Then you convert the remaining tens into units, add them to the units partition and try to share those.

So an example could be : " You and two friends have put your money together to have a go at a lottery.  Tickets cost £3 so you want equal shares if you win.  Lucky you; you have won £474.  How much do you each get?"  So share the £100s.  You each get £100 and there's £100 left over.  Change it to 10 x £10 add £70 so we can share out the 17 x £10, 5 x £10 each and £20 left ........

And now for repeated subtraction.

"I've got to move 400 bricks from my front drive to the back of my garden.  I can get 30 bricks in my wheelbarrow.  How many trips will it take?  400 - 30 = 370.  370 - 30 = 340.  ........."

Hopefully that is what you are asking for.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-02-23 22:30:22)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer