Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-19 22:33:53

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Simple Electroscope Creation( Will it work?)

The creation of simple electroscope is given at
http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/electroscope.html

I need to create a model 4 our Physics Test. But this is a group project. So it would be a problem if we see tht it doesnt work after making it with so much effort.

So please tell me:
1. Whether it would really work or not?
2. Would it work if I place a paper cup instead of Styrofoam Cup?
3. Please mention a few easy ways of creating charges to test this
4. How does it work?
5. Would it work if I place a plastic cup instead of Styrofoam Cup?

Please Reply

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2011-07-19 23:23:16

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Simple Electroscope Creation( Will it work?)

Hi Agnishom;

This is an experiment, you are allowed to try things. The plastic cup should work, try it!

Static charge is built up any time 2 substances are rubbed together preferably in dry air.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2066772_produce … icity.html

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-07-20 00:17:39

Bob
Administrator

hi Agnishom,

Yes, I think it will work.  There are lots of posts on the page that say it has for others.

Electro-statics experiments work best in a dry atmosphere so the charges don't drain away too quickly.

As I understand the method, you charge up the foam plate and stand the device on it.  The charge transfers easily to the metal plate because metals conduct electrons easily.  It further travels into the ball so both the plate and the ball have the same charge.  I've shown it as a positive charge but it could equally be negative, depending on the substances you try.  Like charges repel so the ball moves away.  The distance it moves will give an approximate indication of the size of the charge.

As you wait and watch, the ball should gradually drop back as the charges drain away.

Before you try another substance, touch the metal plate to drain away all charge.

Good luck with the experiment; let us know how you get on.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-07-20 00:24:04)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2011-07-27 01:44:21

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

How 2 try this with wool or other things like tissue paper? How to use those things to create charges?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#5 2011-07-27 02:35:12

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Agnishom;

Ever scrape your feet on a rug then touch something metallic? I always pick up a charge while in my favorite supermarket, it really is an electrifying place.

It is best done in winter because it is drier. Remember my page? Just pick one thing from each list and rub em together.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2011-07-27 10:24:42

Bob
Administrator

hi Agnishom,

Firstly, did the foam plate work?

You have got to sit the metal plate on top of whatever you charge so that the charge can spread into the electroscope.  So, for example, you could make sure the foam has no charge, then put your charged wool on top, then the electroscope.  If the ball moves, it must be the charge on the wool that did it.

If you made two electroscopes, and used one with the same source of charge everytime (the reference charge), and the other with a variety of substances you'd have the means to classify the charges as follows.

Get both electroscopes charged up with each ball being repelled; then bring them closer together.  If the balls are attracted to each other you know they've got opposite charges.

What would be useful to know is what charge your reference electroscope has.  That will depend on the materials.  You'll have to google to find out what charge a particular substance acquires.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-07-27 10:31:25)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#7 2011-07-29 00:57:05

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Oh! I dont think that it really repelled but the teacher was very happy and seemed to agree that it worked!

Board footer