Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-11 02:43:37

pooteacher

hands on or art project for math investigations

my son is 7 and has asked ....how many minutes make a year, he has asked a question beyond his school curriculum...i want to support it, yes i can introduce him with traditional calculation.....i will do it, if i can't get any better idea/ to support his investigation thru hands on/ art project....seeking support ....thanks in advance!!!

#2 2011-10-11 03:16:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: hands on or art project for math investigations

Hi pooteacher;

Traditional calculation is the right way for him to answer the question. He might have a desire to compute. Please give him a pencil and paper. I was only a little younger when I felt the same need.

No calculator yet and welcome to the forum.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-10-11 04:11:42

Bob
Administrator

hi pooteacher,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I agree with bobbym and he never uses a calculator!  Don't need to, do you bobbym?  with all those terabytes of computing power just an arm's reach away!  smile

But I'd start with 365 and multiply backwards if you see what I mean; rather than starting with 60.  The 'multiplies' are more manageable that way round.

Or better still,  get him to write out the numbers to multiply,  and decide for himself which to start with.  That way you are turning him from a 'arithmetician' into a 'mathematician'.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-10-11 04:12:50)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2011-10-11 04:51:09

bobbym
bumpkin

bob bundy wrote:

Yes, I agree with bobbym and he never uses a calculator!  Don't need to, do you bobbym?  with all those terabytes of computing power just an arm's reach away!

Why in the world would I use a calculator when I have Geogebra!Terabytes? The first machine I had only had 156 bytes of programming memory available to the user. Loved calculating by hand with or without paper. Then came the turning point in my life. A certain professor invited me to come down to their computer lab and work with their mainframe, it was a great honor. I never showed up...

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer