Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-13 03:59:58

KarimAzer

Very difficult matrix proof, help!

I've spent an incredible amount of time on this question, taken out of a library rau textbook. It tests all parts of my understanding of matrix and vector knowledge. I cannot do it!

Basically, min (b (vector)) (y - Xb)^t(y-Xb) ; y and b are vectors. X is a matrix. This is the general least-squares problem, when X is an n*k matrix.

The critical point of b* ( I proved this earlier, had some luck with that one) is (X^TX)^-1X^ty (^t = transpose, ^-1 = inverse)

Now, I must substitute my b* into the original equation, to try and find the minimum value function.

I've tried both methods; multiplying out the initial (1st) expression until it's in its most basic form, then substituting b* in. I also tried substituting b* in from the start, and couldn't do that either.

Please could someone help me with this problem, I am going crazy.

#2 2011-10-13 04:18:01

KarimAzer

Re: Very difficult matrix proof, help!

I'm not used to using Latex so I apologise for the way I formatted my question. I tried both methods and really do not know how to get to the answer;

At one stage, (the first method I tried, expanding before substituting) - I got the expression y^ty, am I right in assuming y^ty=yy^t = I?

#3 2011-10-13 04:50:58

KarimAzer

Re: Very difficult matrix proof, help!

I have the answer, if you think it'd be useful, just ask.

I did try and cheat, and work backwards, the thing is I am so close. I just can't get the identity matrix in both sides....

If you could try writing out the problem and substituting in b and working through it, i'm here to discuss it because it's really challenging

Board footer