Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-06 10:58:32

Sonita08

Number recognition

I have a 5 year old boy who started Kindergaten on August. Two weeks ago he started learning numbers 1-20, he needs to know counting and recognition for these numbers in English but his first language is Spanish.( We live in a Spanish speaking country) He has a test tuesday and that includes dictation, so when the teacher says the number he has to be able to write it. I have tried many things to help him learn, he can count but cannot recognize the number very well. I spoke to his teacher because I think they did not allow enough time for the children to learn but she just said that that is how they work their curriculum and that by december they have to be counting and recognizing number to 100. I am afraid that he will fail this test and that the next to weeks we will have to work # from 1 to 40. Isn't this too much too soon? I am no expert so please give your opinions and tips to help him learn. Thanks

#2 2011-11-06 11:40:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Number recognition

Hi Sonita08;

I think that is too much also. His teacher sounds like a jerk to me.

I advise for you to start right now and cram for that exam. Saying each number over and over to him and having him write it down. Children have very good memories, better than adults. Any exam can be beaten if you have at least 24 hours to prepare for it!

Our number system is only difficult for the first 20 numbers. They all have different names:

zero, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen.

Say them over and over to him. Be gentle but persistent. Have him right them as you say them.

After that the numbers are easier. They combine a prefix and a suffix.

prefixes ( first number ) : twenty(2), thirty(3), forty(4), fifty(5), sixty(6), seventy(7), eighty(8), ninety(9).

suffixes ( second number ) : one(1), two(2), three(3), four(4), five(5), six(6), seven(7), eight(8), nine(9).

eighty nine is 89
fifty nine is 59
sixty three is 63
twenty five 25
seventy 70
fifty 50
ninety one 91

Try teaching him like that. He can get it. Have some faith in him!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-11-06 21:36:21

Bob
Administrator

hi Sonita08

I am concerned that this challenge for your boy  may become such a hateful task that it will turn him off of learning altogether.  Children learn things best when they are enjoying themselves and picking up the knowledge 'by accident'. 

Note my signature line : 'You cannot teach a man anything' means you cannot force learning if the motivation is missing. 

I would sidetrack from the task ahead and concentrate on things he will enjoy doing with numbers.  Without knowing more about him,  it's hard to say what that might be,  but,  for a start,  you could count sweets, together.  He gets to keep all the sweets he counted without an error.  And if you think that will be bad for his teeth, switch to counting all sorts of objects and then make a wall chart with stick-on stars, and record his progress in stars (and lots of praise!).

You will find lots of ideas and games at

http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/counting.html

Section:  Learning to count is fun.

These activities will be far more fun than just trying to learn the numbers out of context.  And they will give you some ideas of other things you can do together.

It may be that he isn't ready by the time the test comes.  Don't worry and, IMPORTANTLY, don't let him worry either.  The right attitude to have for this test is 'Let's see how much I can do now, so I'll have a marker for how much I've improved by December.'

That way, you can still be positive about his progress on Wednesday.  "OK, so you got 3 / 20.  We'll try again tomorrow, just you and me, and we'll see if you can get 4/20 this time."

Please post again so we can continue to monitor how he is doing.  Good luck!  smile

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2011-11-06 21:47:49)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2011-11-07 01:02:27

Sonita08

Thanks for you interest and your advice. We will work hard and it will be ok because it will be fun.
Math is such an important subject and I just want to make sure that my son does not feel intimidated by it at such an early age. I'll keep you informed.

#5 2011-11-07 01:34:47

Bob
Administrator

Sounds good to me.

I've put this thread in my 'subscribed' list so I can keep an eye on it.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer