Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-07 05:26:39

Karimazer1

Simplifying this equation....simplish

Hello all... Happy New Year!

I have finished a question (for once...) and would like to know if it can be simplified further? It's not a major issue, I just think it can and like to practise manipulating basic rules where I can.

I hope that makes sense, I can't find a square root sign... so I'm just thinking that the two expressions with Y and those two with Z can be further broken down..... but I really don't know if it's possible, any ideas on how I could simplify it? Thank you all

#2 2012-01-07 06:16:19

Bob
Administrator

Re: Simplifying this equation....simplish

hi Karimazer1

You can square root both 9 and 4 and extract the factor outside the square root sign.

That's as far as I can get.

Bob

ps. square root is \sqrt{expression}

Last edited by Bob (2012-01-07 06:18:58)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-01-07 06:22:42

Karimazer1

Re: Simplifying this equation....simplish

Honestly...that is incredible how you could just see that immediately! Why can't I see such fundamental steps of just taking the root of the integer and taking it outside..I get frustrated with myself!

Thank you so much..again..Im in awe of your ability..why cant you move to my school and teach me full time haha!!:P

Board footer