Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-14 02:26:27

Ansh Agrawal

Rank correlation - please help - just a doubt

I came across this sum :

I have been given the rankings of ten contestants in a beauty contest.. rankings are done by 3 judges.. and their decisional rankings have been given in three columns.. So the rankings have already been given..

They have told this : " Use rank correlation to discuss which pair of judges has the nearest approach to common tastes in beauty

What i did is i paired the 3 judges, so i had 3 pairs.. then i found out the rank correlations for respective pairs.. but m doubtful for the final judgement that we have been asked to make. HOW TO DO THAT ? can anyone help ?

thanks...

#2 2012-02-14 03:10:33

Bob
Administrator

Re: Rank correlation - please help - just a doubt

hi Ansh Agrawal

You've done all the hard work here.  Now you just need to interpret the correlation results.

The closer a correlation is to 1, the greater is the agreement between the judges.  So which pair gave the highest value?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-02-14 04:20:27

Ansh Agrawal

well, the first pair has 0.55, second one has 0.73, and third one has 0.05..

today i had  a test. i got the same in it..n i judged 0.73 as the correct answer.. but is that correct ?

#4 2012-02-14 04:37:54

Bob
Administrator

Yes it is!

Correlation values range from -1 to + 1.

+1 means a perfect correlation.  Two judges would have put exactly the same order.

-1 means a perfect but negative correlation.  Two judges would have made exactly the opposite order from each other.

0 means no correlation.  The two judges gave completely mixed up rankings with no agreement and no 'anti' agreement.

A value of 0.73 means there is a fair amount of agreeement.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2012-02-14 04:42:05

Ansh Agrawal

well thanks bob ! smile seriously u made me relieved.. my friend told that 0.55 would be the answer because it states ' common tastes ' ... she told that common implies somewhere near half.. did she have a point ?

#6 2012-02-14 06:09:10

Bob
Administrator

No.  In 'common' with each other!

B

#7 2012-02-14 06:13:11

Ansh Agrawal

well thanks finally smile u helped me n i cud do d sum nicely smile hey u had answered my area problem.. but i had posted anoder reply.. did u check it ? could you please check it and help me out ? area by definite integrals..

Board footer