Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-21 18:44:48

probiner

Vertices position relative to a Quad

Hi
English is not my native language and I have these type of questions all the time.

I would like to know if the terms Linked and Opposed are correct when one wants to talk about the position of two vertices relative to a quad for example, as in: "Vertices A and C have an Opposed Relation." or "There was a movement from vertex C to the Linked vertex, D."

I don't think that Opposite and Link fit better than their participle past ('ed).

Illustration
Relativeposition.png

Thanks for any help smile

Last edited by probiner (2012-02-21 18:44:55)

#2 2012-02-21 20:15:04

Bob
Administrator

Re: Vertices position relative to a Quad

hi probiner

Your English is very good; well done!

The words you have used are close enough for me to understand what you are saying.

I would say point A is opposite to point C.

And point B is adjacent to A or perhaps connected to A

or perhaps B is next to A.

So "Vertices A and C are opposite to each other."

and "There was a movement from vertex C to the adjacent vertex, D."

Hope that helps,

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-02-22 02:07:27

probiner

bob bundy wrote:

hi probiner

Your English is very good; well done!

The words you have used are close enough for me to understand what you are saying.

I would say point A is opposite to point C.

And point B is adjacent to A or perhaps connected to A

or perhaps B is next to A.

So "Vertices A and C are opposite to each other."

and "There was a movement from vertex C to the adjacent vertex, D."

Hope that helps,

Bob

Thanks Bob.
Yes in portuguese we also use adjacente e oposto for angles and sides in the Pythagoras' Theorem.

My only "issue" is that I want to use these for modeling. So it's not like the quad is isolated.

Linked-Opposed.png

For example I want to say that those Cyan and Yellow vertices have an -Opposed- Relation (as in they are in Opposite sides of that Quad). (fair use of language? If I say "Opposite relation" is ok? )
But then Cyan moves up to that small black and white vertex to which it's -Linked- to (or connected like you suggested which makes sense).

Anyway, correct me further if you may and thanks for the help. up

Last edited by probiner (2012-02-22 02:11:22)

#4 2012-02-22 08:09:43

Bob
Administrator

hi probiner,

Say "The cyan and yellow vertices are opposite each other"

For the black and white dot you can use 'linked to' but this could lead to confusion as all the points are linked in the network.  You need to make it clear that you are using linked to mean 'joined by a line with no other point in between'. 

In maths it is acceptable to define a meaning in this way. 

For example, in day to day conversation 'similar' means 'having a likeness or resemblance, especially in a general way'.  But in mathematics similar has a special meaning 'having the same shape; having corresponding sides proportional and corresponding angles equal'.  When I am teaching that topic I have to explain this to my students so they understand that maths requires exact meanings.

I hope that hasn't confused you.  smile

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2012-02-22 09:06:37

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi bob

while we are on this topic,then shouldn't it be "The cyan and yellow are opposite of/to each other"?

also,i am not aware why i am trying to correct a native english speaker,even though i know the chances of me being correct are <epsilon for all epsilon less than zero. big_smile

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2012-02-22 09:08:01)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#6 2012-02-22 09:35:59

Bob
Administrator

hi Stefy,

You may be right.  I first typed 'opposite (to)';  then I said it to myself a few times; then I decided to delete the (to) altogether.

I thought it was a tautology.  If two things are opposite then the 'to' seems redundant.

I've just had a quick 'Google' on this and it looks as though you may leave out the 'to'

eg from Dictionary,com

-prep
Also: opposite to  facing; corresponding to (something on the other side of a division): the house opposite ours

'of' would be used in this sense:

What is the opposite of happy?

That's the good thing / trouble with English.  The rules keep shifting.

When I was young I spent many hours in school learning "The Queen's English".  There was one set of rules and no variations were permitted.

But now English is an international language and lots of 'dialects' exist.  I suppose, what it comes down to is this:  Have you communicated what you intended?

Bob

#7 2012-02-22 09:58:36

anonimnystefy
Real Member

hi bob

The Queen wrote:

how's it going bro?

big_smile

P.S.This quote was made up.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#8 2012-02-22 21:42:44

Bob
Administrator

hi Stefy

The Queen wrote:

We would not say that.  One should not use the vernacular.

She is, of course,  a regular contributor to MathsIsFun.  Her work on 'The Symmetries of Gem Encrusted Diadems' is considered definitive.

lol

Bob

#9 2012-02-24 23:19:39

probiner

bob bundy wrote:

hi probiner,

Say "The cyan and yellow vertices are opposite each other"

For the black and white dot you can use 'linked to' but this could lead to confusion as all the points are linked in the network.  You need to make it clear that you are using linked to mean 'joined by a line with no other point in between'. 

In maths it is acceptable to define a meaning in this way. 

For example, in day to day conversation 'similar' means 'having a likeness or resemblance, especially in a general way'.  But in mathematics similar has a special meaning 'having the same shape; having corresponding sides proportional and corresponding angles equal'.  When I am teaching that topic I have to explain this to my students so they understand that maths requires exact meanings.

I hope that hasn't confused you.  smile

Bob

Thanks again Bob

I get the "similar" thing, I remember the class about triangles =P

And probably it's what's going on here, but I'm gonna be stubborn one more time, ahah big_smile

The "Linked" issue over a network I get it, but see, in this polygonal mesh in that sense, all points are linked. What I mean is that the vertices share an edge and a polygon, while the other ones, only share a polygon (Opposite).
Still this goes further since I can have an Opposite relation but with divisions in between like in the image above.

Linked-Opposed-B.png

So you would write the text instead like the following?

"Connected  or  Opposite  is the position of two vertices relative to a polygon, used to describe a relation between Keys or a movement of a Key."
"In this example the V3 and V5 Keys have an Opposite relation. Then the V5 moves up to a Connect Position; V3 and V5 still have an Opposite relation but with a division in between."

It just sounds strange to me since I picture them as being the opposite, only relatively to the polygon. And while opposite can be considered a past participle, they don't look like out fo the same box, ehehe.

Last time I talk about this one. I just wanted to move on with a bit more certainty, eheh. Sorry for the nag over small stuff tongue

Last edited by probiner (2012-02-24 23:20:33)

#10 2012-02-25 00:12:23

probiner

Now that I think of, It's not the vertex that moves, but rather it's quality of having 5 connections.

I guess I'll have to replace move by transfer or shift.

Last edited by probiner (2012-02-25 03:33:30)

#11 2012-02-25 04:15:59

Bob
Administrator

hi probiner

You would like me to put your work into 'normal' English?

Linked or Opposite

The terms 'Linked' and 'Opposite' are used to describe the relationship between Keys or the movement of a Key.

In this example V3 and V5 are Opposite each other.  Then V5 moves up to a Linked position.  V3 and V5 are still Opposite each other but with a division in between.

Does that help?

Bob

#12 2012-02-25 04:26:00

probiner

Thanks Bob. Case closed. Ty for baring with me, going through less on math and more on English, ehehe smile

Last edited by probiner (2012-02-25 04:26:40)

#13 2012-02-25 06:52:57

Bob
Administrator

You're welcome.  smile

Bob

Board footer