Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-21 20:02:15

YZF

Sunami

Morning All,

I watched a film the other day called IMPACT or something where something from space hit earth and caused a massive Sunami and I was wondering what if...

I live approx. 65 miles from the nearest coastline and my home town is approx. 128mtr above sea level, lets just say that a big rock hit the sea approx. 100 miles from my house (which would be approx. 40 miles from the coastline) and caused a big wave, forget about the fact that I would probably be dead etc.

Lets also assume that the land increases steadily over the course of 60 miles from sea level to 128mtr above sea level and doesnt go up and down (hills and valleys)

My questions is How tall must this wave be (60 miles away and at sea level) to cover my house by say 50 feet when it gets to my house?

This is probably a stupid question to a stupid problem but thought I'd ask anyway :-)

Jason

#2 2012-05-22 01:20:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Sunami

Hi Jason;

I would need to know how much height the wave would lose per mile. Do you have such an estimate?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-05-22 23:45:41

YZF

Hi,

Oh!, I dont know, lets for ease of figures say 20 feet per mile.

Its just clicked now, to calculate this are you going to work backwards from my house then for each mile add on 20 feet etc. until you get to the starting point

Jason

Last edited by YZF (2012-05-22 23:46:24)

#4 2012-05-22 23:54:52

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Jason;

That is one way of doing it. If the wave and this is a very simplistic analysis, is 2278 meters high when it starts it will be 178 meters high when it gets to you. Since you are 128 meters above sea level it will hit your house with a wave 50 meters high. This will demolish your house so you better get out of there quick.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer