Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-08-06 14:24:06

noelevans

Re: Dividing Polynomials - Mixed Sums

Hi bobbym!  Thanks for the encouragement to be patient.  I can be that.  It's beinga patient
that I don't like!

You are right.  There is always resistance (inertia in action) to change and to different ways of doing things.  There have been lots of movements throughout history that were resisted mightily but in the end came about, especially in religion and government.   I enjoy pointing out easier ways of doing mathematics as well as problems in the language.  Whether someone likes it or not is up to them.  It is against my nature to "put someone down" over much of anything much less mathematics.

But I can't vouch for others.  If there should arise some "bad blood" it may be over something I said but I'm not likely to be a participant in the "bad blood."  I have pretty much of a "live and
let live" philosophy.  Math should be interesting and fun to participate in, not something to get
all upset about.  My heart is to help folks to understand and enjoy math more.  Disagreement is
part of the nature of mathematics.  I doubt that any two mathematicians would agree on every-
thing they know in common.

All that being said I may dare to ask some questions or make some observations occasionally that
others may think are a bit different  or strange.  Hopefully such will stimulate some thought about
how we say or do math.  The idea is to make math more "user friendly."

Writing "pretty" math (two dimensional) is easier to read and grasp than LaTex (one dimensional).
LaTex is like painting on many strips of paper and then stacking them to see what picture they make.

#27 2012-08-06 17:01:28

Denominator

Hello,

*ignores what has just been said and does the actual exercise*

I will the rest later.

koko28.png

#28 2012-08-07 14:25:43

noelevans

Hi Denominator!

I got different answers than you on #3 and #4.
On #3 I got -7x^2 for the x term.
On #4 I got -1200x and -800 for the last two terms.
Our answers agreed on the rest. 
Have a great day! smile

Writing "pretty" math (two dimensional) is easier to read and grasp than LaTex (one dimensional).
LaTex is like painting on many strips of paper and then stacking them to see what picture they make.

Board footer