Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-08 22:32:45

Calligar

Proving Something New

I've always been curious about something.  Suppose you had found out something new in math, and you had a way of proving it to be true, how would you let the rest of the world know about it?  When asking my brother the same question, he answered that one would need to distribute the proof amongst as many people as one can, more so mathematicians, so they can try to prove it wrong, and if no one was able to prove it wrong, then it is most likely correct, and will eventually become better known.  I had my doubts about this and wanted to ask, remembering I had joined this forum some time ago, I figured it was more appropriate considering this is a math forum.  Some of you might remember me back when I was trying to argue that 3.3...+6.6...=9.9...and not 10, only to admit defeat later as rules of math already said this was true.  Anyway, my only point is, I am just unsure and would like a second opinion on this, is what my brother saying true, and that someone would need to let other mathematicians know about it, or is this actually wrong and would require something else to be done?

Last edited by Calligar (2012-10-08 23:16:50)

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#2 2012-10-08 22:54:08

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Proving Something New

Hi Calligar;

You should post it or publish in a place where the date is recorded. One of our members posted it here. It is an original piece of work. Here people are honest which is a lot more than I can say for much of the scientific community.

You can publish on vixra. There your stuff can be downloaded by anyone who wants to see it.

Before you consider any of that, I suggest that you thoroughly research your idea to make sure it is original. In mathematics thousands of proofs are submitted each year. Make sure you are not redoing someone else's work!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-10-08 23:22:29

Calligar

What if one wanted to do so more privately?

But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle

#4 2012-10-08 23:27:08

bobbym
bumpkin

If you stay private how is anyone going to know of your discovery? Sooner or later you have to publish, post or submit to a journal or site. The longer you delay the greater the chance that someone will follow in your footsteps.

#5 2012-10-08 23:30:27

Calligar

I am more so just asking, I know numerous people who if they discovered something they would not like to be known but in the case they were to discover something, they would also want the rest of the world to know as well, it is more of a question out of curiosity and was looking for answers because I've often wondered it for quite some time...

#6 2012-10-08 23:33:32

bobbym
bumpkin

if they discovered something they would not like to be known

Depends on what you have discovered.

There is no way to be published and private.

#7 2012-10-08 23:38:27

Calligar

Even if someone else takes the credit in order for one to stay anonymous?

#8 2012-10-08 23:41:30

bobbym
bumpkin

That is interesting. If someone else takes the credit then he is the discoverer. The anonymous person might remain unknown for all time, unless the credit taker blabs...

#9 2012-10-08 23:46:01

Calligar

Okay, thanks, I was just curious because my friend said he discovered something recentally to do with math.  When he asked me the same question, I had no idea how to respond to him and simply said, I don't know.  I began asking my brother and a bunch of other people, majority of people seem not to know, my brother is the only one to give a response so far, you the second.  I still have my doubts though, but at least I have more to tell him now.

#10 2012-10-08 23:55:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Doubts about what? Please clarify.

#11 2012-10-09 00:09:32

Calligar

Well, for instance, I do not personally know much about how honest this forum is, none the less, that really does not matter.  It is not that I do not believe you but that I have been told before never just take the word of another, rather think upon it and decide for yourself if it is true or not (or something like that).  Therefore, without me personally knowing the people on this forum, I can not just unfortunately come to believe this.  (By the way, please do not mistaken me calling you dishonest either, it is just more the way I think) On top of that, that is more so just an opinion.  As for the other thing you said, that has more validity, (about vixra), though, I am not familiar with this website, so I'll just tell my friend about it, and if he still thinks he has the new idea, he can take a look at it himself.  Again, I was getting very curious myself because no one else seems to have had any answers, to be honest though, yours seems more assuring then my brothers answer.

#12 2012-10-09 00:22:31

bobbym
bumpkin

If you are asking me to prove my honesty, that I will not do. No one would believe anyone saying they are honest. So, let me speak for the others. There are no plagiarists here.

I believe that it is wise to mistrust any human being. The hacker ethos, "only the paranoid survive," is unfortunately true.

Tell your friend what I have said and let him make up his own mind. Every decision he makes will be fraught with danger. That is life and there is nothing we can do about it. Risk is part of the game. If he does not want to publish, that is his decision. I will not condemn it or condone it.

#13 2012-10-09 00:37:43

Calligar

No sorry, was not asking you to prove your honesty.  Was just merely...explaining why I can't just simply take your word for it, as it was more of an explanation as to why I had doubts since you had asked me to clarify.  It was a lesson taught to me a long time ago by my father, even that I had to think about before thinking of it as being true; but I'm pretty sure you can guess now what I think of that.  Anyway, I apologize, I was ONLY trying to clarify like you had asked, and was not really sure of a better way to explain it without going into further detail.

Last edited by Calligar (2012-10-09 00:43:41)

#14 2012-10-09 00:43:35

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

You misunderstood me. I am not offended, no apology is necessary. I understand your reasoning and your fears are not groundless. I have had work stolen and I do not have so much that I could afford it. It was an awful feeling to see his name on my work.

Anyways, the horror of this world is that you always have to eventually trust someone. I found that some men still have some integrity.

Board footer