Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-04 19:45:23

Calligar

Calligar's Signature

Well I'm going for tonight, I hope I'll be back soon...  What I really wanted to ask is peoples' suggestions about a good quote I can use.  I more rather looked up quotes and looked through them until I found one I liked, but I'm not really that satisfied with it.  I was interested in changing my signature to a new quote, and I just wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on some good math quotes.

I also would like to say, sorry for asking here, but I wasn't really quite sure if asking here or under Help Me! was better.  I figured Help Me! was more for math related questions so decided to ask here, sorry if this was the wrong place to ask.

Last edited by Calligar (2012-11-04 19:47:10)

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#2 2012-11-04 19:53:19

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Calligar's Signature

Hi;

Books that I am reading usually supply me with the quotes I use. You can also google for millions more. I change mine every once in a while, get tired of them.

Try here and see:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywo … atics.html

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-11-05 18:18:42

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Calligar,

My favorite Math quote:

Happiness Is Crazy Mathematics : It Multiplies When You Divide It

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2012-11-05 19:13:55

Calligar

Does anyone know who said something to the degree of there are always other variables, I've heard that one when I was a kid, and it's always stuck with me...

But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle

#5 2012-11-05 20:08:47

Bob
Administrator

hi Calligar

I did a 'google' on that and got loads of hits, mostly with a  serious, statistical theme.

Best offer: "There are always other variables. Especially the object between the chair and the keyboard."

If that's not the one,  you'll have to say something about the context.  smile

Alternatively, you might find something here:

http://www.math.okstate.edu/~wli/teach/fmq.html

And some good ones here:

http://www.quotegarden.com/math.html

I particularly liked "If two wrongs don't make a right, try three."

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#6 2012-11-05 20:29:06

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Calligar,

Life isn’t a simple Math: there are always other variables.

In maths, as in life, there exist many unforeseen and unaccounted-for variables that can change an expected outcome.

Last edited by phrontister (2012-11-06 22:46:34)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#7 2012-11-07 13:55:04

Calligar

Who said,

Life isn’t a simple Math: there are always other variables.

, because I'm pretty sure that is the exact one I remembered.  As for my signature, I picked that, and another one I really liked (from the first page out of bob bundy's suggestions).  Thank you all, more satisfied about my signature now.

#8 2012-11-07 22:36:47

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Calligar,

I found it here, near the bottom of the post, and you'll notice I adjusted it a little.

I searched for its author but drew a blank. It's unlikely that the poster is the author, though, as it appears on other forums...albeit with some differences.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#9 2012-11-08 02:26:15

ShivamS

Nice signature.

#10 2012-11-08 10:43:37

Calligar

Thank you phrontister, I've never been personally able to find it myself (I have looked before, though honestly not especially hard).  Thanks as well Shivamcoder3013.  Just curious, did you mean the first one, second, or both?

Last edited by Calligar (2012-11-08 10:44:04)

#11 2012-11-08 15:39:24

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Calligar,

First I googled for "there are always other variables" (including quotation marks, which constrains searches to those that contain that exact phrase), but when that returned umpteen pages of stuff that wasn't hitting the spot I tried adding the word "maths" after my initial entry:

"there are always other variables" maths

And hey presto!, there was my answer, near the bottom of the first search page. smile

#12 2012-11-08 18:00:36

Calligar

Nice!  Anyway yeah, thank you.

Board footer