Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#126 2012-11-21 23:30:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: A very nice "joke"! ! !

Hi;

Okay, I will read some poetry!

Borderland sounds a lot like Nevada. Brown lumps of dirt that they call mountains and ravines that haven't seen water since Noah.

Barton's poem sounds very familiar. The never ending battle and emnity between those who live in the country and those who live in cities.

Same thing right here where a long time ago it resulted in the bloodiest civil war ever fought and is still raging today.

You see grandpappym first settled in the deep south on a farm with lots of land. He desired city life, the gambling, the women, the crime, the filth and the noise. He dragged pappym to NYC where he could indulge himself in his base desires.

For the rain and drought and sunshine make no changes in the street,
In the sullen line of buildings and the ceaseless tramp of feet;

Pappym was miserable but could not leave until I dragged him out of that stinkhole and to Nevada. Now I would like to again settle in the south especially with all the talk of the secession from the union going on. Alas, my family is still in love with the dirt and the noise, the street urchins and will not relocate to the country.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#127 2012-11-22 02:51:13

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

Yes, country life has a lot going for it: eg, the generally friendlier people, less sophistication, less-hectic life style...if those are things you like. And more elbow room, rather than living in each other's pockets.

Also trees and fauna: eg, these pictures I took the other day of a koala in a neighbour's gum tree just the other side of the fence from me.

The last 8 pictures are a series of action shots showing the koala climbing up the trunk. They're amazingly strong, quick and nimble, despite their slow, cuddly-teddy-bear appearance!

Last edited by phrontister (2012-11-22 04:07:51)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#128 2012-11-22 02:55:41

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

What a magnificent creature. I like the first shot best. It looks like someone I used to know.

#129 2012-11-22 05:46:05

Sarah Rebekah 16

yw smile

Love is Golden.

#130 2012-11-22 09:09:24

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

We do not have anything like that over here. Are they tame? Do they keep them as pets? How large is that thing? How large do they get? I understand they eat Eucalyptus leaves!

#131 2012-11-22 13:33:03

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

Koalas are endemic to Australia, and live in the wild. They look cute and cuddly and pickupable, but without a suit of armour on I wouldn't be getting too close to them because they have sharp teeth and claws that could rip you to shreds. And they're very strong.

Maybe they can be tamed to some degree, because I know that in wild-life reserves they can be handled...under the ranger's supervision.

I reckon the one in my pics is at least 3/4 of a metre from head to toe outstretched. It's a male, which I could tell from its loud, deep, pig-like grunt. Females speak more lady-like.

They eat eucalyptus leaves, but they're picky and will only eat from about 10% of our eucalypt varieties.

Here's a link to the video I took, from which I saved frame captures for my MIF images. Type in "koala" (without the quotation marks) for the password. The video thumbnail is the shot that you said you liked best. smile

I used a digital camera and the result is a bit blurry in parts, but in the main I'm happy with it. The video gives a good idea of some of the koala's behaviour and its climbing capabilities, and nicely captured my first experience so close (about 6 metres) to one that was so active (they often just sit there, apparently dozing).

Later in the day the koala climbed right up to the top of the tree and perched there quite precariously (I thought) on a thin limb, munching away at some yummy leaves. It stayed in the tree for a couple of days before it moved off to another tree. I've lost track of it now.

You can often tell when a koala's around the place from the huge din made by the magpies, which are very territorial, especially around their breeding time. They screech and swoop the koalas non-stop, and the poor koalas just duck and sometimes swat at the pesky birds with their paws. Draws a bit of interest from spectators, kids especially.

Last edited by phrontister (2012-11-22 15:17:42)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#132 2012-11-22 21:08:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Thanks for the video. I see how strong and the sharp claws on his arms and legs. I also see he is a very good climber. Judging by his massive arms for his body size I would agree that he is very strong.

#133 2013-03-21 02:24:50

digits

Loved "The Longest Joke in the World"!
I liked even better the flattering, positive personality evaluation at the end!

And I loved "SongDrops"!, especially the hour long extended version!
Cheers!
digits!

Bring me my Bow of burning Gold!
Bring me my Arrows of Desire!

Board footer