Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-17 20:58:02

SMBoy
Banned

Is Anyone using BASIC Anymore?

Hello... Is Anyone using BASIC Anymore? any version.

#2 2012-11-17 21:09:37

Bob
Administrator

Re: Is Anyone using BASIC Anymore?

hi SMboy,

Yes, I occasionally use BBC basic.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2012-11-17 21:51:10

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi GIB;

Welcome to the forum. I still use QBasic and Liberty Basic but only rarely.

You might consider Python if you ever want to try another. Also C++ is a fairly easy change.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2012-11-18 07:49:04

noelevans

Hi!

I use Turbo Basic occasionally.  It's been upgraded by the creator of turbo basic and is now called
Power Basic.  You can see their much more powerful current products at powerbasic dot com.
Apparently there is still quite a following for BASIC and its derivatives.  smile

Writing "pretty" math (two dimensional) is easier to read and grasp than LaTex (one dimensional).
LaTex is like painting on many strips of paper and then stacking them to see what picture they make.

#5 2012-11-18 23:03:52

SMBoy
Banned

I am surprised so many People are still using BASIC, then again it's much more easy to understand compared to other Programming languages.

#6 2012-11-18 23:07:13

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

It is almost always the first computer language a person is exposed to. I guess it just sticks!

#7 2012-11-18 23:33:46

Bob
Administrator

and it was deliberately devised so that a 'would-be' programmer could pick it up quickly.

Who didn't start with:

10 PRINT "hello"
20 GOTO 10

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#8 2012-11-19 14:44:20

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I think basic is the second language I came to learn about. I still love it a lot for its simplicity

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#9 2012-11-19 14:49:35

bobbym
bumpkin

Your second! That is amazing, BASIC is almost always the first one. As a matter of fact you are the only exception known to me!

#10 2012-11-23 00:49:47

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Actually, my love for programming began when we were taught a turtle-graphics language called LOGO at school
I was around 7 or 8 years old at that time

Then, I began to like it and then I found QBASIC installed in my computer and began using it

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#11 2012-11-23 01:56:19

ShivamS

My first programming language, when I was around 7, was essentially BASIC. Hence, I still love it.

#12 2012-11-23 05:26:13

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Agnishom;

Logo, I forgot about that.

Hi Shivamcoder3013;

BASIC, was my first one too. But I think it hurts now that I even know it!

#13 2012-12-07 13:42:24

noelevans

My first programming language was FORTRAN, but I like BASIC better.  I like MAPLE's programming
language for number theory type problems.  But I wish it had better string manipulations.

Writing "pretty" math (two dimensional) is easier to read and grasp than LaTex (one dimensional).
LaTex is like painting on many strips of paper and then stacking them to see what picture they make.

#14 2013-04-20 06:59:33

Mrwhy

ABSOLUTELY!
I do all my programming on QB45 and QB64
Everything writ in  qb45 is runnable in qb64 - which is faster and more powerful and plays GREAT music!
So I write and debug everything in qb45 and then run the working prog to qb64.

This forms a GREAT topic (ability) called "Experimental maths", where you simply TRY IT - and see what results you get! There is almost no task that we cannot simulate in qb64.

#15 2013-06-06 03:57:49

LearnCS

Hi, I'm new here and look forward to participating in the forum.

Long story short. I have taken some time off in life and I haven't programmed in BASIC for years(like when was a teenager), so it was really interesting when I opened my CS0 textbook(like CS 98 or before 101) this year and jumped into the algorithm section. What I noticed is how related the normal "pseudocode" used in algorithm design is to BASIC syntax. So this kind made me interested in why people are not using BASIC for at least algorithm design or teaching methods since it's so simple. In fact I was able to better understand some of the sorting algorithms because they were written in BASIC and I was exposed to it before, but this is probably nothing for people here who are experts at programming and can understand code easily. I'm not(I guess I better get to "being good" though if I"m going to major in CS - but that is another story)

I have a book(years old now) on DarkBASIC and plan to use it to help teach myself geometry(Don't ask because even I don't even understand why I have this urge in life and interest in mathematics all of the sudden when in fact I HATED math - hence why I joined this forum) and to run simulations and better help me visual basic geometry and learn algorithms. They also have a C++ add on so this could be a good chance to learn that too. I have a book on it C++ premier which I'll be using too.

I seen someone mention LibertyBASIC, is it still being updated and in development? I read "Beginning Programming for Dummies" by Wallace Wang years ago and it kind of made programming funny, I really wish he would do something with Python since his writing style is hilarious. The guy is a comedian. Kind of off topic but anyone else know any authors like that for programming?

Anyways I'm blabbing now. I'm not even a programmer and probably shouldn't be commenting. Sorry.

Last edited by LearnCS (2013-06-06 04:01:56)

#16 2013-06-06 05:27:57

Bob
Administrator

hi LearnCS

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

#17 2013-06-06 09:25:30

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi LearnCS;

Welcome to the forum. Program in whatever language you like. Although each person has his favorite they all pretty much can run a simulation.

I would suggest that you try to absorb a little combinatorics and probability which will help greatly.

Liberty basic as far as I know is still active as are QBasic and a few others.

#18 2013-06-07 01:15:26

LearnCS

Thank you both for the warm welcome,

I'll definitely take your advice and work on combinatorics and probability. In fact, it's funny you mention it because I was working on a discrete math series I bought and it starts out with combinatroics and number theory which was an eye opener for me.  However, right now, and I'm sad to say this because I'm quite embarrassed by it,  my knowledge in mathematics isn't quite good enough for me to peruse this interest as deeply as I would like too so I have to back up to the basics. I plan to work on this and improve because I'm fascinated the abstract side of the counting, ordering, ranking etc type aspects of it just not solely the applied side - if that makes any sense.

This is really why I'm excited, it's cool to have found a forum dedicated to mathematics with people kind enough to offer their time and expertise helping me achieve this goal and I look forward to participating. I just hope my silly questions don't outdo my welcome here lol.

Last edited by LearnCS (2013-06-07 01:18:34)

#19 2013-06-07 01:18:57

bobbym
bumpkin

my knowledge in mathematics isn't quite good enough

That is why I am here to make you even more confused than before. Post what problems you have and maybe...

#20 2013-06-07 01:20:44

barbie19022002

confuse....? bobbym....why do you want to confuse some else..

Jake is Alice's father, Jake is the ________ of Alice's father?
Why is T called island letter?
think, think, think and don't get up with a solution...

#21 2013-06-07 02:08:35

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

To have fun.

#22 2013-06-07 02:10:07

bobbym
bumpkin

I was just joking to ease him into the forum.

#23 2014-07-26 20:40:11

Tangram

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say I'm a fan of BASIC. There's a lot of snobbishness regarding programming languages, and it seems that BASIC is looked down on because it's too simple, doesn't have OOP or the latest bells and whistles. But really, any language that's Turing complete is functionally equivalent to any other. Why use arcane syntax and specialized structures, unless you're required to because of your job? (unless you just like learning programming languages for fun). Besides, in my opinion OOP is overrated, it's been shown to be a "bug attractor" and leads to bloated code. Programming is challenging enough without having to deal with all that cr*p.

Anyway, if you use Linux or Mac, I suggest BaCon, a Basic-to-C convertor which is easy to learn and uses much of the good 'ol classic BASIC syntax. Plus, it's fast because programs are compiled to C, and it's trivial to use any of the thousands of C libraries available.

http://www.basic-converter.org/

What gets us into trouble isn't what we don't know; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so! - Mark Twain

#24 2014-07-26 20:51:03

bobbym
bumpkin

If you like it and are effective then use it. So, they are still fiddling with Basic -> something. The first time I saw that it was a Basic -> To assembly compiler for the old TRS-80's.

#25 2014-07-27 01:06:08

ShivamS

Tangram wrote:

But really, any language that Turing complete is functionally equivalent to any other.

Not really.

Board footer