Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-29 19:01:11

mathaholic

All moderators and bobbym and MathsIsFun.

On my pre-moderation (the time before I could moderate), I thought of some groups to make for me. I thought of suggesting a "Math Talk" for those who want to chat with people, because I heard that many games turned into chat threads. Why not just chat there insted of the game thread? That way:
*  The games will continue in "Puzzles and games" .
*  Many people will reply because of the endless thread.
*  Spam is filtered on the topic.
Can you please make it for me?

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

#2 2012-12-30 00:26:20

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: All moderators and bobbym and MathsIsFun.

Hi julianthemath;

We already have created a few chat threads. Yes some chatting goes on in other threads but it can't be helped. Enforcing a no chatting rule would be a continuous job and we would end up with no members including myself.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2012-12-30 05:43:48

Bob
Administrator

hi julianthemath

I don't know how you can stop a thread turning into chat.  The regulars on the forum all do it at some time, because we have become friends and like to chat.  If a thread is active with help for someone, I try to avoid chatting as I don't want to confuse them, but a lot of threads loose their purpose because the original poster never comes back with any feedback at all.  Regulars are left debating the merits of the solutions and eventually just 'discussing the weather'.

If you started a thread and you feel it is going off subject, then you might politely ask that folks get back on topic but I suspect this topic drift is an inevitable hazard of an open forum.

btw:  Glad to see you've got your sig going at last.  Whoops!  smile  That was off topic wasn't it.. See how easily it happens.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2012-12-30 18:11:14

mathaholic

Bobbym, close the topic. This might not be the best suggestion. sad

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

#5 2012-12-31 02:15:25

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

In this case I will leave it open. Everybody needs a place to express themselves.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer