Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2012-11-20 16:53:48

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Derivative Plotter

I have made a Derivative Plotter

It plots the "derivative" by simply calculating successive points and working out the slope. I can't think of a simple phrase to say that ... "calculated slope"?

But a really cool feature is at the bottom where you get to plot a function in green to (hopefully) coincide with the "calculated slope".

Comments and Suggestions pretty please!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2012-11-20 17:27:34

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Derivative Plotter

Hi MIF;

It works well even getting  the correct plot for this tough one.

You could have calculated those points using a formula instead of the slope between two points. But if the speed is acceptable that way, why change?

Uploaded Images
View Image: 2012-11-19_222019.gif      

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#3 2012-11-20 17:46:15

ganesh

Hi MathsIsFun,

The Derivative Plotter is neat. Excellent work!

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

#4 2012-11-20 19:49:56

bob bundy

hi MathsIsFun

That's great and worked well for all I tried.

There was one odd thing that happened.  I suspect it's my laptop as I've had the odd thing happen with graphics before.  But I'll describe what happened anyway, in case you can shed any light.

If I slide the zoom control fully left, as I start to slide back towards the centre, the graphs (everything inside the function and the slope borders) vanish.  And stays that way unless I press the reset.  This doesn't happen for a slide right.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2012-11-20 20:45:09

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Sounds like a glitch in the program ... will investigate, thanks.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2012-12-05 21:20:34

MathsIsFun
Administrator

New version 0.6, only minor changes, hopefully fixed the zoom bug that Bob found. (Use refresh!)

#7 2012-12-05 21:28:09

anonimnystefy
Real Member

The graph of tan(sin(tan(cos(tan(x)))) and its derivative look cool!

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#8 2012-12-05 21:38:58

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

e^(sin(x)) makes nice waves.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#9 2012-12-05 22:17:41

bob bundy

Yes, it has fixed the zoom.  Thanks.  smile

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#10 2012-12-06 08:18:05

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Excellent.

e^(sin(x)) is quite nice to scroll back and forth on

#11 2012-12-06 08:37:01

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Larger plot boxes and panning functionality would be nice...

“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#12 2012-12-07 11:05:45

MathsIsFun
Administrator

You can pan by single click (re-centers image)

#13 2012-12-07 11:45:09

anonimnystefy
Real Member

When I left click it gives me the selection tool so that when I let go of the mouse, it zooms into the area I selected.

#14 2013-04-02 01:20:32

Shrikharan
Novice

I  am unable to use the derivative plotter  offline. I  copied the swf file from temporary internet file folder  and tried to  play it but only blank screen. Any ideas

Thanks

Shri

Board footer