Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-05-21 02:38:03

phrontister
Real Member

Re: Make 1,234 using the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 only

'Ta' definition:

ta, interjection. An infantile form of ‘thank-you’, now also commonly in colloquial adult use.

anonimnystefy wrote:

Which puzzle?

The one I posed in posts 68 and 71. They're basically the same puzzle, with one being a variation of the other for the reason I gave in blue in #68.

This is a cryptic puzzle, and the task is to interpret its meaning, which will then reveal the method by which I arrive at the answer 1234.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#77 2013-05-21 02:43:50

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Oh, I didn't realise you posted it as a puzzle.

By the way, do you have any puzzles similar to the YOB/YOP puzzle and the one posted earlier in this thread (a, b, c and d puzzle)? I really like solving them.

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2013-05-21 02:52:06)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#78 2013-05-21 14:26:22

phrontister
Real Member

Hi stefy,

I tried to respond to your post last night, but couldn't access the forum until just now. After trying many so-called fixes, the only one that worked was a modem reset.

You didn't show the actual solution to my cryptic puzzle, but from what you said it seems that you've solved it. up

I don't have many puzzles of my own invention at all, just the YOB/YOP, a few alphametics way back in the early days of the 'Add 13 more and post it forever' thread, plus a smattering of others hiding in various threads somewhere.

I've found these alphametics in the '13' thread:
Post #108, #403 & #731.

I've posted a variety of fairly challenging and enjoyable logic-type puzzles (no advanced maths skills required) from other composers too, and some remain unsolved. They're dead and buried now, but I can dig up the links to some of them if you like.

And then there's always the latest and greatest version of 'Who has the purple door?', that I spent quite some time on refining. It remains unsolved, and is found here. But you need to set aside some serious time for that one.

Last edited by phrontister (2013-05-21 14:46:33)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#79 2013-05-22 00:16:43

phrontister
Real Member

Hi stefy,

I found a YOB/YOP-type puzzle I'd forgotten about and opened a new thread for it (to keep this one uncluttered). It's called Chocolate!, and is a junior version of 'bobbym's YOB'.

#80 2013-05-22 00:49:35

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I've seen the new thread. Thank you cor that! smile

I will try looking at the three you mentioned. I don't think searching for more will be necessary right now.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#81 2013-05-23 04:32:11

phrontister
Real Member

Hi stefy,

I came across this one by accident last night, and as it's a little different from the others I thought I'd post the link:

BOOHOO

#82 2013-05-23 06:12:51

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi phro,

I forgot to tell you about it, but I also found it last night while looking at the Puzzles and Games forum.

Board footer