Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-08 16:22:41

Fruityloop

Polar bear dies from starvation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 … 20236.html

I want everybody in the world to see these pictures.
This is heartbreaking.
We are going to see more and more of this in the future.
There seems to be no intention on the part of mankind to reduce
either our numbers or our emission of CO2.
What is especially scary is that the methane that is locked up in ice beneath the ocean is
starting to come out.  Look up methane hydrates.
The future doesn't look good.

Last edited by Fruityloop (2013-08-08 16:58:12)

#2 2013-08-08 23:48:04

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Polar bear dies from starvation.

Hi Fruityloop;

What future?

Grizzly bears which do not function well on ice are now able to migrate into formerly polar bear areas. This is because there is much less ice and more ground. This probably means the extinction of the polar bear from the increased competition.

When a chairman of a large petroleum company was asked about the loss of the ice he said he was overjoyed. To him, it means increased northern sea routes for the shipping of more oil and thus greater profits.

To Homo Sapiens, RIP. One of the creatures stupid enough to exterminate himself.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2013-08-09 00:51:15

SteveB

Hi Fruityloop and bobbym,

The effects of global warming and pollution are, as you say, serious. Individual companies profit, but the planet as a whole loses.

Also carbon resources like oil, gas and sometimes coal are used up (all finite sources in that they will take geological
time scales to replenish), and at a rate where I am rather suspicious as to whether any goverment or scientist really
knows how we are going to meet our energy demands (electricity, transport, heating, etc.) using renewable sources
(solar, wind, turbines, etc.) which do not really look adequate (and I hope they don't use the even worse choice of
nuclear power which burdens future generations with radioactive waste).

The animal kingdom adapts remarkably well on the whole. I can't see the human race managing quite so well if we
really do manage to use up all of our oil. (Sorry that was rather pessimistic - perhaps we can invent our way out of
that one using some futuristic device - or is the answer to use arable land?)

(The trouble with the arable land idea is that we are supposed to use that for food, not plant things to dig up to
produce an oil substitute. If the UK produced it's oil using this method it would not have enough arable land for
the demand of it's own consumers according to a documentary I once watched.)

Last edited by SteveB (2013-08-09 08:30:49)

#4 2013-08-09 15:18:55

Mathegocart

R.I.P I feel bad for the Polar Bears.I hate GW!

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

#5 2013-08-09 16:19:41

Fruityloop

I agree with you bobbym.  I think humans will be extinct by 2050.  Just do a google search for the record heat that is going on around the world.  People don't realize what is coming.  We have feedback mechanisms that are coming into play now.  Maybe it will finally dawn on people that we are in serious trouble.  But then again, maybe not.
Take a look...
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/497854/2 … gXAqSTn_cs
We have an explosion in the world population causing an explosion in CO2 emission.

Last edited by Fruityloop (2013-08-09 16:28:44)

#6 2013-08-09 16:33:49

mathaholic

sad

Mathaholic | 10th most active poster | Maker of the 350,000th post | Person | rrr's classmate
smile

Board footer