Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-28 09:22:30

karategirl1925

JMC and IMC (or SMC) takers?!

Tina here <3
I'm kindof new to this site, still finding my way around -_-"
has anyone taken the IMC (or even JMC or SMC) around these years?  I'm taking it soon and I'd like to know some problem solving tips, because the only thing I can do at the moment is equations.  I find problem solving pretty hard, English isn't my first language but I'm quite good at it so that shouldn't be a problem, I just can't get my head around simple things.
For example, do you think it is better to look at a problem then think about it and use logic to tackle it, or
is it it better to write down everything you read in an algebraic form first?  or anything else? 
I hope to do a Kangaroo or a math olympiad, so I'd better get good at it.  My current scores would be enough to get me a gold possibly, and definitely secure me a silver and time is not really a problem for me.  So tips?  Or if you have no idea what I'm talking about, then problem solving tips just in general?  I'm scared O.o

Mathopolis username: Karategirl2012
top ten in four different competitions!  XD

#2 2013-11-28 14:27:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: JMC and IMC (or SMC) takers?!

I find problem solving pretty hard,

It is hard but the best answer is to do them. As many as you can. Practice will improve your skills and take away the fear.

Answering about problems, always write down everything the problem gives translating to math as you go. Read the problem many times and then read it again.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2013-11-29 05:17:42

karategirl1925

Thanks smile
btw, do you know any good websites for problem solving?  Doesn't have to be sophisticated, a few questions from past papers or a question a day type? 
I know mathopolis and I've been surfing the net lately so I've literally done loads of them, another few websites would be appreciated
thanks ~ Tina up

#4 2013-11-29 05:31:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;
A couple of questions:

You can do all of them at Mathopolis?

IMC? You mean the International Mathematics Competition?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2013-11-30 12:28:37

zetafunc.

I think she is talking about Junior, Intermediate and Senior Maths Challenges, run by UKMT. I used to sit those at school. If I remember correctly (I might be wrong), the JMC is done at age 11-13, the IMC at 14-16, and the SMC at 16-18. Something like 20-25 multiple-choice questions to do in 60 minutes, with a scoring system that penalised guessing, I think?

On a more national scale, those who do very well in the SMC get entered into BMO1 (the British Maths Olympiad). Of those who do really well in that, they get through to BMO2. If you score highly in that, I believe you go to the training camp at Trinity College, Cambridge, in which they may pick you to represent the United Kingdom at the IMO. Personally never made it past BMO2 so I can't comment on the stages after that.

As for the OP's question, I sat this most years from Year 7 to Year 13 (I only just left school last year). The format never changes and the types of questions that come up are fairly similar, so practice the older ones as much as you can. The official website of the competition posts full solutions to the problems too (apart from BMO onwards). Some other forums where there are a few people also taking part in the competitions are people on Ask NRICH and on The Student Room. It would help us if you also told us what sort of level you are at in the curriculum (KS3, GCSE, etc).

#6 2013-12-08 04:57:16

karategirl1925

OMG, thank you!  These UKMT things are so english.
I'm at GCSE sort of level.
I've done loads of the past papers but can't seem to get my head round the geometric problems, especially the ones that revolve around finding angles of shapes.
Then I feel stupid when I've seen the solutions

#7 2013-12-08 06:54:12

Bob
Administrator

hi Tina,

You can get the 2013 IMC paper as a free download pdf from

http://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-compe … challenge/

The answers are there too.  up

They also offer 2008 to 2012 papers for £2.50 (for the set!) at

http://www.ukmt.org.uk/publications/ind … =PastPaper

There are several downloads available on that page so check you're asking for the one you want.  smile

If you find one you cannot do, post it here for us to take a peak.

If you want the 2014 paper you could try this guy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0   roflol

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#8 2013-12-09 05:05:45

ShivamS

karategirl, I did several past papers from the aforementioned contests, but I never did one proctored. Straining my memory, I think you might have to prepare a bit outside of the standard curricula. I recall it having a few discrete maths problems as well, which I don't think is covered in the UK curricula. Apart from that, the best thing to do is solve hard problems, preferably from those past papers.

Board footer