Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-09 19:29:36

silverpuma

Bob and others could you take a look at this question

I have checked this a few times and I can't understand why these 3 answers are marked wrong (hence the red X after the blue answers)  The red writing below are the correct answers gave to my son but I can't get them to work. I'm confused?

I saw in the question it states that "there are several possibilities" and perhaps my son's was not one of the popular ones so it was assumed his was wrong by mistake?  Any ideas.......thanks

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#2 2013-12-09 20:02:31

Bob
Administrator

Re: Bob and others could you take a look at this question

hi silverpuma

The answers given are correct.  The red answers are not.  hhhmmmm!  sad

It looks like the person doing the counting for the reds is sometimes counting the square the shape starts on, and also the square it ends up on.

The translation should be described by giving the vector for the movement; that's why it is written as one number  (the x movement) above the other (the y movement).

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2013-12-09 20:08:12)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2013-12-09 23:36:43

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I think your son really needs to step up the his teacher and his class. Not in a rude way, but he should definitely speak up. One day he will have to do so, but bater now than later.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#4 2013-12-10 01:27:51

zetafunc.

Agree with anonimnystefy here (and that your son's answers are all correct) -- have your son talk to the teacher, or possibly, talk to them yourself. (I'd recommend doing the latter!)

At my university, cases like this are seen quite often -- our homework is marked by PhD students. Many of us were irritated that some of the markers were incredibly sloppy, and it would continue to be if we hadn't got together and spoken up about it!

#5 2013-12-10 05:24:51

silverpuma

Thanks guys and yes I think we will speak with his teacher when we are having the term review one to one meeting just after Christmas..................not looking forward to this though

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”  ―  Winston Churchill

#6 2013-12-10 05:42:35

anonimnystefy
Real Member

It will be okay as long as there are no harsh words. It's better to do it now then to let all the students including your son learn math wrong. smile

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2013-12-10 05:42:51)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#7 2013-12-10 07:32:30

silverpuma

anonimnystefy wrote:

It will be okay as long as there are no harsh words. It's better to do it now then to let all the students including your son learn math wrong. smile

Thanks again guys and.....  there will be no harsh words.  I'm really thankful for my son's teacher and I know he want's the best for him and has a very good reputation for producing accomplished maths students.  This is just a couple of slip-ups i think due to pressure of work.  Also this was homework and I suppose I would be more concerned if it was exams or structured tests etc.

Last edited by silverpuma (2013-12-10 15:56:03)

Board footer