Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-14 19:07:47

yazz

installing linux mint 15 from dvd-problem.

hi, i  have a dvd which has setups of mageia 3, linux mint and manjaro.but when i boot the dvd, it only boots the mageia 3.though i can find the iso's of other 2 i don't have any idea about installing those.should i burn them in separate dvd's..

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a
fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad tongue.

#2 2014-01-14 20:23:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: installing linux mint 15 from dvd-problem.

Hi yazz;

That is a good idea, install each to its own DVD. But do it one at a time.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2014-01-14 20:26:26

yazz

thnk you...i really need it for development purposes as you guys adviced...and how can i configure linux mint for that

#4 2014-01-14 20:33:02

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I do not run a linux so I am not the one to answer. Two people here run linux, gAr and Agnishom. They are not in here right now but will be later.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2014-01-14 20:59:04

gAr

I need some information before going ahead.

i. Are you planning to install it on a hard disk with data and OS already there, and you want it to remain as it is?
ii. Is your CPU a recent one with UEFI?

By the way, only one distro is enough, why waste space?!
You can also instal linux mint from a removable USB drive, by using a software like unetbootin.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#6 2014-01-14 21:16:31

yazz

1)i already have win 8 on my hdd and got 3 in 1 linux distrib. as per your suggestion i planned to install linux mint rather than mageia 3,and have both w8 and mint..the problem is that mint is not booting in that 3 in one dvd,only mageia is.so i will try using unetbootin.
2)lateat but not aware of UEFI

#7 2014-01-14 21:40:56

gAr

I haven't tried multibooting dvds.

If UEFI is enabled, it won't allow you to boot some linux distros. See if there is an option to disable it in the bios menu. I think linux mint 15 may work anyway.

Take a backup of your important files before starting installation. Then choose the option to install it side by side, try to have at least 20 GB for linux to install extra softwares you may need.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#8 2014-01-15 05:00:05

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

though i can find the iso's of other 2 i don't have any idea about installing those.

They're freely available on the internet. Google them.

.but when i boot the dvd, it only boots the mageia 3.

I think that if you have GRUB installed, it would be possible to boot all three using appropiate commands in the GRUB shell.By the way, Where did you get the dvd from?

should i burn them in separate dvd's..

Not really, using a pendrive will save you a great deal of expense. I do not know about multiboot DVDs but multiboot pendrives can be created using YUMI (www.pendrivelinux.com)
P.S: I have also heard that GRUB supports loop mounting iso boot directly from the hdd

.i really need it for development purposes as you guys adviced...and how can i configure linux mint for that

What do you need exactly?
You'll have python installed by default. Install the package build-essential for C and C++. C# will be available through some other package (Use synaptic package manager to find out). Also install an IDE like eclipse, anjuta or codeblocks.

lateat but not aware of UEFI

Try to figure it out. I suspect it is not UEFI. If it is UEFI and that too with Secured boot, you'll have to disable it somehow, you might also need to allow compatibility mode on the BIOS. If that is the reason for all your trouble use a VM instead or a Linux that is certified by the manufacturers of your machine.
(I do not think that is the case and I believe that you'll not need to do any of these things

Last edited by Agnishom (2014-01-15 05:04:08)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Board footer