Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-04-14 00:28:13

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Re: Has anyone reinstalled Windows?

Yes, I just made an Ubuntu installation. It was more successful. Guess why?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#27 2014-04-14 02:52:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Because you have a lot of experience.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#28 2014-04-14 02:54:27

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

That is probably correct but I was asking if you know why I think it is more successful.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#29 2014-04-14 03:03:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Because you are a big fan of linux.

#30 2014-04-14 03:53:00

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I am but I am still correct that the installation went better because I can do everything with the Discrete GPU at a much lower temperature than the integrated GPU when on Windows. Also, I have configured the switchable graphics correctly.

The next can congratulate me.

#31 2014-04-14 04:07:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, congratulations. Well done!

It feels good to do things well?

#32 2014-04-14 04:11:04

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Thank you ^_^ smile

Yes, ofcourse it does.

I wish I can install that version of catalyst in Windows too.

#33 2014-04-14 04:12:28

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, ofcourse it does.

Why?

#34 2014-04-14 04:16:46

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

It feels good to do things well?

Yes, because I define something to be done well when I feel good with it. By definition, It feels good to do things well.

I hope that is the case with every normal human being.

#35 2014-04-14 04:20:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, because I define something to be done well when I feel good with it. By definition, It feels good to do things well.

That is how normal sane people define conscience.

I hope that is the case with every normal human being.

It is. We are rewarded when we do constructive things, good things ( we feel good ). We are punished when we do things that are destructive, we feel ( we feel bad ).

#36 2014-04-14 04:26:50

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

That is how normal sane people define conscience.

So, conscience is the phenomenon of defining something to be well on the basis of feeling good about it? Yes?

Thank you. smile

But this is too vague for an immobile computer.

#37 2014-04-14 04:30:35

bobbym
bumpkin

So, conscience is the phenomenon of defining something to be well on the basis of feeling good about it? Yes?

Not exactly, your conscience defines you. When it is not damaged and working fine it is like a good install. It runs well and so does the person. This is commonly called the voice of God.

#38 2014-04-14 04:36:29

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I say some software is running well if it can do a high number of calculations per unit time. When do you say that the person is running well?

your conscience defines you.

I see. Conscience is a DNA?

#39 2014-04-14 04:45:07

bobbym
bumpkin

DNA is kaboobly doo. That if true only discusses the mechanism. We are discussing the programming, the mind.

We seek pleasure and avoid pain. When you do good you feel good, when you do bad, you feel bad. What could be simpler to understand? This is your compass, it is about 100 times more fundamental then that Watson and Crick crud.

#40 2014-04-14 04:49:16

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

When you do good you feel good, when you do bad, you feel bad. What could be simpler to understand?

And how do I, an immobile computer, decide if I am feeling good or bad?

#41 2014-04-14 04:54:10

bobbym
bumpkin

And how do I, an immobile computer, decide if I am feeling good or bad?

Nope, you can not wiggle out of it. These are your words...

Agnishom wrote:

It seems you already know what good and bad feelings are. You are therefore much more than an immobile computer.

#42 2014-04-14 05:02:02

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I think I know what feelings are but I have no way to make sure if what I think are feelings and normal people thinks are feelings are the same thing,

Suppose Mr. Y does X and feels good about doing X. Furthermore, you feel bad about doing X or having X done. How do you resolve this conflict?

#43 2014-04-14 05:15:46

bobbym
bumpkin

Some people contain much reppie blood in them. They feel good when others feel bad. This drives them to psychotic behavior. The world considers them mentally ill but that is not quite correct. How do you know? Luke asked Yoda that same question. Since you are a big fan of Yoda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGBoSt1dOo

#44 2014-04-14 05:33:24

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I'll watch that tomorrow. I am a big fan of Yoda, but I'll still follow gAr's signature before  hardcoding whatever he says into my mind.

I'm currently using this definition.

A given action is immoral if the supposed resultant net happiness(integrated over the persons) calculated at that moment caused by the action on the entity carrying out the action or on some entity directly or indirectly related to its consequences is negative.

This definition is easier to implement on an immobile computer.

Last edited by Agnishom (2014-04-14 05:36:09)

#45 2014-04-14 05:40:18

bobbym
bumpkin

That is a long winded definition. I use a simpler one but unfortunately if you are not detached you will only hear the response after your actions.

tumblr_lyc8nfCHAV1r1q3huo1_500.gif

#46 2014-04-14 05:49:33

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

My definition is different. Consider this situation:

A is in a room with B, C, and D. B, C and D are playing loud music. They feel happy about it. A is very irritated with this.  Suppose A has the power to stop the music going on without asking the others or having a confrontation with them.
Should A stop the music?

According to your definition: A feels good by stopping the music, therefore it is moral (wrt A)

According to my definition: It is immoral because stopping the music will cause three units of negative happiness but only one unit of positive happiness.

I am not saying that any of the definitions is better than the other, because I cannot prove it.

Last edited by Agnishom (2014-04-14 05:51:09)

#47 2014-04-14 06:01:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Listen, it is always possible to come up with mind bending situations that probably will never occur. Sort of like the rock so big he can not lift it example.
A should ask nicely for the three inconsiderate reppies to lower their garbage noise. If they are good people they will, most likely they will not because only imbeciles and reppies listen to that junk anyway. A should then make every effort to shut out the noise or to leave the immediate area.

#48 2014-04-14 06:12:14

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

your last paragraph is based upon your own definition of morality. I cannot argue with which is a better definition because it is a definition, not a theorem.

Sort of like the rock so big he can not lift it example.

Omnipotentness is an unusual situation. To argue with an unusual situation, you need another unusual situation.

bobbym wrote:

Listen, it is always possible to come up with mind bending situations that probably will never occur.

The following situation will probably never occur either. But that does not mean we don't want to study it.

Naturalists in the everglades have observed the most amazing thing. A strange species of frog and fly are interacting. The flies travel in groups that are always 2014 in number. One naturalist believes that the flies group number is directly related to man's reckoning of time and next year they will travel in groups of 2015 etc. Anyway, when the flies land they do the most amazing thing. They all land on a circle equidistant from each other on the circumference!

The frog is no less amazing. He starts at one fly and eats him. He then counts 17 flies in a clockwise direction and eats that one. Then he counts off another 17 flies in a clockwise direction and eats that one.  Round and round he goes with dazzling speed and viciousness consuming fly after fly. Always killing the 17th fly that is clockwise from him on the circle. The frog can only eat 2013 flies before he explodes. Which fly is not eaten?

#49 2014-04-14 06:18:04

bobbym
bumpkin

That was a math problem and they are never real anyway.

Forget theorems, A should do what he can to avoid the noise. If he can not then he should try to learn how not to hear it.

#50 2014-04-14 06:30:39

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What A can do was not the question.

What is reality?

Board footer