Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-06 11:47:44

jellybeans

Absolute Math beginner

First of all, hi there! I have found that math is something I want to pursue later in life but it turns out I'm not very good at it.(paradox, no?) The major reasons for my incompetence are daydreaming, indecision and laziness why not? Well I do like math and I do want to get better at it so if you're in the same boat as me, won't you be my math study partner? I only have 1 year to prepare for college work so getting a study partner would be really helpful. Your age won't matter, unless you have problems talking to me.I'm 16 by the way. If you're seriously interested in getting better at math and won't mind being my study partner, please do contact me through my e-mail, [email removed] and tell me some things about yourself if you'd like. Sorry if this sounds like some sort of advertisement (it's not!)If you are interested then we can talk about how we will keep in touch. Hope to hear from you soon!!!wave

#2 2014-05-06 13:18:36

ShivamS

Re: Absolute Math beginner

Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see that you are interested in and wish to pursue mathematics - it is a fascinating and exciting discipline (maybe just to me) to be a part of! How do you know you are not good at mathematics? Is it because you are not succeeding in mathematics in school, got a low score on the SAT (or other standardized tests), math contests etc? If so, then it is irrelevant. If your mathematical capability was determined by those things, I would not be in a university right now (and many math majors also wouldn't).

One year is plenty of time to prepare if you are determined and if you do not procrastinate too much. Good luck on your endeavours!

If you want some book recommendations:

ShivamS wrote:

I suggest you fill your gaps in Algebra 2 and Elementary functions (precalculus) by going through a standard book, rather then learning topic by topic. As for books, try "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang, "Algebra" by IM Gelfand. A great set of books are NCERT books (www.ncert.nic.in/ncerts/textbook/textbook.htm). They are the primary set of books used by students in India, and covers main topics. You might want to start at grade 9 and move forward quickly. Another set of books, though expensive, is Art of Problem Solving. They are a bit expensive, but they give you great understanding. You can supplement all this with khanacademy.org or examsolutions.

You do not need to go through the art of problem solving books if they are too expensive.
After those, you can go through Spivak, Courant or Apostol's "Calculus".

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-05-06 13:51:14)

#3 2014-05-06 13:36:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi jellybeans;

Welcome to the forum. I have removed your email from plain sight for security reasons. I will provide it to anyone here that I know, if they ask.

I would recommend that you hang in this forum and post your questions here. That way we can tell where you are at and what kind of help you need. Also, you can have as many study buddies as you need and online 24/7.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2014-05-06 13:41:19

ShivamS

Yeah, there are quite a few active people who can definitely help you along the whole way. Of course, he may want to talk to someone privately/directly.

#5 2014-05-06 13:49:05

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I agree but this way I will least know that some weirdo has not picked up the email from just browsing and wants to do some harm. If anyone wants to, I will give it out with jellybean's permission.

I also think that in the same way until we see what he/she is about I would not like to see one of my people contacting an unknown person.

That is why I strongly suggest that he/she post here first, become a member, then we will all be in a better position to make a good decision.

#6 2014-05-06 13:50:37

ShivamS

Hi;

I wasn't talking about you removing the email, of course it is good to do that since there are security issues.

#7 2014-05-06 14:02:52

jellybeans

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give the books a try. I want to redo geometry and algebra 2 (the course I'm currently doing). Hopefully money isn't a problem because I hate it when material things get in your way so I'll just assume it won't tongue Okay now to clear things up a bit... my intentions for getting a study partner are all well. Of course I can't prove that so I understand why you removed my e-mail address. Anyway I believe that a study partner will make you be more efficient since it will help you keep motivated and speed up your learning because each person can study a different topic and then teach it to each other etc.. Also thank-you for taking my comments seriously. If I told ANYONE that I want to major in math they would just laugh especially my algebra 2 teacher whose class I'm currently failing with a D. However I believe in hard work and 2nd chances.It's never too late to amend your path smile

#8 2014-05-06 14:20:02

bobbym
bumpkin

I got a D in my first math classes too.

Have you seen Mathopolis

http://www.mathopolis.com/questions/index.php

and

http://www.mathsisfun.com/

Is there some topic or problem that is on your mind now?

#9 2014-05-06 14:25:57

jellybeans

I would really like to learn all about graphing. I would like to learn to proficiently use programs such as SpeQ geogebra and winplot. Maybe even get to the level where I'm comfortably drawing pictures with equations. I would also like to come up with my own word problems and know whether I have enough info. to solve a mathematics problem. Of course I have to get the basics down first...

#10 2014-05-06 14:35:29

bobbym
bumpkin

Then you are in luck I love geogebra. I will teach you. I am glad you are computationally minded. That is how I changed those D's into big A's. Talk about bad math, I had a professor here say that I reasoned like a dog. Woof, woof, snarl, I sure showed her!

Please when you find the time head over to "Introductions" and do the introduction thing.

#11 2014-05-06 14:48:26

jellybeans

Huh? I thought saying hi was enough! Yes, I am in luck.

#12 2014-05-06 14:53:38

bobbym
bumpkin

You can go in there and tell your whole life story as long as it fits inside of one post. Or you can pass on it.

#13 2014-05-06 23:21:30

ShivamS

jellybeans wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give the books a try. I want to redo geometry and algebra 2 (the course I'm currently doing). Hopefully money isn't a problem because I hate it when material things get in your way so I'll just assume it won't tongue Okay now to clear things up a bit... my intentions for getting a study partner are all well. Of course I can't prove that so I understand why you removed my e-mail address. Anyway I believe that a study partner will make you be more efficient since it will help you keep motivated and speed up your learning because each person can study a different topic and then teach it to each other etc.. Also thank-you for taking my comments seriously. If I told ANYONE that I want to major in math they would just laugh especially my algebra 2 teacher whose class I'm currently failing with a D. However I believe in hard work and 2nd chances.It's never too late to amend your path smile

As for money, I think it would still be best if you stay away from those Art of Problem Solving books I mentioned because even if it is not an issue for you, they won't help you a lot since you already are taking geometry and algebra 2. The rest of them can be found online for free or you can just order them.

If they immature enough to think that grades are a good source of predicting your future and then laugh at you, then do not tell them. You are in 11th grade, so you have actually made the realization early. There are numerous people who realize this much later in their life and even then it is not too late.

Board footer