Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-08 05:00:28

Sultan

Help them!

Hi guys,
This's my first post in this great forum. smile
Today, i have something to share you with.
It's a puzzle which came out of the blue when i was working on my homeworkdizzy
It's quite looong but it does make sense (i guess wink )
Here you go guys>>

A  factory produces chemical liquids in special flasks with special lids.

This factory will produce:
> 99 flasks numbered from 1 to 99
> 99 chemical liquids numbered from 1 to 99 Each liquid has a distinctive color.
> The time required to fill a flask with a single chemical liquid= 1 minute.
> The time required to empty that flask = 0.5 minute.

>> two workers will fill the 99 flasks with the chemical liquids (carefully) pursuant to numbers. (Liquid no.1 in flask no. 1 and liquid no. 2 in flask no. 2, and so on)

>> After filling all 99 flasks, a special machine will start closing the flasks with lids. (This machine starts at a predetermined time can not be amended except by the supervisor).

>> When the 2 workers had finished filling all 99 flasks they realized that the flasks have been numbered wrongly! (meaning the flask that is supposed to be No. 1 has been given No.99 and the flask that is supposed to be No. 2 has been given No. 98, and so on).
They decided to refill them again in reverse order to pour every liquid in the designated flask!
Note: the two workers can't empty or refill same flask at a time.

The DILEMMA is that after 74 minutes, the 99 flasks should be filled and placed  in the designated area (under the machine) to start closing the flasks with the lids AND the supervisor has left the factory!
Note: ignore the time needed to carry the flasks from the filling area to lids closing area!

The question is: Are the 74 minutes sufficient to accomplish the task (empty and refill again) and put the flasks in the designated area before the machine starts working, and
What is the minimum time in which they can finish the task?

Will the workers be able to avoid the factory squandering high-cost lids if the machine started working before placing the flasks, as well as delay shipment schedule, which as a whole may be a compelling reason to fire the 2 workers sad

Waiting for any smart answer up

Last edited by Sultan (2014-04-14 10:28:09)

#2 2014-04-08 15:38:11

phrontister
Real Member

Re: Help them!

Hi, and welcome to the forum! smile

I haven't got anywhere with this yet, but before I look at it more closely I'd to know:
- if the task of filling/emptying a flask requires both workers, and
- if they (either together or alone) can only fill/empty one flask at a time.

If the answers to these questions are "no", then the workers may find it handy to utilise holding a flask in each hand for something or other.

Also, I take it that the flasks don't need to be sterilised between fills. wink

Last edited by phrontister (2014-04-14 02:25:37)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#3 2014-04-12 12:06:13

Sultan

Hi phrontister,

- No
- No

The worker can not do 2 tasks at the same time ( holding 2 flasks in each hand is doing 2 tasks at a time!)

Don't worry the liquid itself is steriliser;)

#4 2014-04-13 04:05:22

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Sultan,

"Yes", to all three questions. up smile

The question is: Are the 74 minutes sufficient to accomplish the task (empty and refill again) and put the flasks in the designated area before the machine starts working

Answer: More than sufficient. In fact, with the two workers emptying and refilling their respective flasks at exactly the same rate as each other and working as quickly as they did, they had time to take a 15-second 'breather' together after each fill and still had 15 seconds to go before the machine would start working.

But they were experienced workers and knew beforehand exactly how long it would take them, and that by taking those short breaks they'd be able to maintain their energy levels right through to the end and finish as fresh as daisies cool, instead of maybe flagging in the home straight and failing to beat the clock! faint >puff-puff<

Last edited by phrontister (2014-04-13 12:35:58)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#5 2014-04-13 12:48:21

Sultan

Hi phrontister,

Great!
But how long it will take them to do this task?! (The minimum time in minutes)rolleyes

#6 2014-04-13 14:16:51

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Sultan,

But how long it will take them to do this task?!

Last edited by phrontister (2014-04-13 14:18:32)

#7 2014-04-15 23:48:54

Sultan

Hi phrontister,

I'm afraid your answer isn't accurate dunno
It might be because the way you understood the puzzle!
Can you explain how you got it

#8 2014-04-16 01:43:58

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Sultan,

O...I was hoping I was right. sad

Last edited by phrontister (2014-04-21 21:41:41)

#9 2014-04-21 15:08:20

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

In ancient Persia, there lived a Sultan whose only daughter was as beautiful as moonrise in clear heaven.

Hi sultan,

how is the princess doing?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#10 2014-05-04 05:02:00

Sultan

Hi Agnishom
she is yearningly waiting for the knight who can defeat the puzzle:D

#11 2014-05-12 04:55:15

ManiticMath

I don't understand why they don't just put new labels on them in the correct order. they would need new containers  to put them into due to the fact that now bottle #1 is contaminated with liquid #99, So they would either have to decomtaminate the flasks, or bottle them in new bottles, or just relabel them.

When ever I see a brand new new math problem, I want to solve it. Then I want to burn it. Then I want to rebuild it in a new, more streamlined way.

Board footer