Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-18 05:20:35

PatternMan

What do math majors do?

I mean what does the average weekly schedule look like? I want to know what they do because I'm considering doing a mathematics degree but I might not. I want to know exactly what they do during a degree course. Do they goto lectures, do problem sets and what are they like? Do you just learn new concepts and apply the rules, and procedures like in school.

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#2 2014-07-18 06:22:16

ShivamS

Re: What do math majors do?

Average schedule for my math classes only is basically lectures a few times a week. Then I sometimes attend recitations (extra supplement to lectures - sort of like the tutorial system in UK) if I need some help. We have tough problem sets so they take a long time usually.

You do learn new concepts, but oftentimes you are instigated to learn them on your own. For example, the professor poses some problem causing us to develop some new idea by our self.

#3 2014-07-22 01:36:30

PatternMan

I mainly want to know if there's anything you do on a mathematics degree course that I wouldn't be able to do sitting at home behind a computer. Or anything that I would struggle to do on my own. I'm thinking of doing an online degree.

"School conditions you to reject your own judgement and experiences. The facts are in the textbook. Memorize and follow the rules. What they don't tell you is the people that discovered the facts and wrote the textbooks are people like you and me."

#4 2014-07-22 02:42:06

ShivamS

Use that as the last option. If there is no way to do a math degree at a university, then self study or do it online (I highly recommend Harvard Extension in that case).

#5 2014-07-22 07:42:39

PatternMan

Why do you think it should be a last option? It's crazy for me to accumulate $50-80 of debt to do a mathematics degree when I'm the type of person that wont get employed. I can do an online degree that will cost a fraction of that or simply study online in my own time.

#6 2014-07-22 08:49:00

bobbym
bumpkin

when I'm the type of person that wont get employed.

Pardon me for asking but I can not see why you will not be employed. I agree that the online course should be your last resort.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#7 2014-07-22 08:50:50

ShivamS

Why are you 'the type of person who won't get employed'? Why do you want a math degree? In which field do hou want a job? Are you planning to study something at university plus math by yourself?

#8 2014-07-22 11:06:15

PatternMan

I am blacklisted on a database that is shared between some companies here. Also if I did a degree I would be close to 27-28 by the time I finished. I would also have virtually no work experience. Who would employ me then? I would also be debt ridden.

Last edited by PatternMan (2014-07-22 11:14:26)

#9 2014-07-22 11:27:50

ShivamS

If this is personal, then I'm sorry, but you're blacklisted?

We had a 53 year old graduating with a PhD in Physics and got a good research based job. Can you answer some of the questions in my last post, if you don't mind?

#10 2014-07-22 14:35:46

bobbym
bumpkin

So you are blacklisted? Can you move away from that area?

#11 2014-07-24 12:48:00

PatternMan

ShivamS wrote:

If this is personal, then I'm sorry, but you're blacklisted?

We had a 53 year old graduating with a PhD in Physics and got a good research based job. Can you answer some of the questions in my last post, if you don't mind?

the type of person who won't get employed'?

I have always been a bit of a rebel. I need to know why we're doing what we are. I have obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to analyzing things. I like to see improvement and refinement. If I see a better easy way to do something I wont take no for an answer. It lead to problems with me in school. I kept asking questions and trying to change the rules so they got fed up with me.

Why do you want a math degree?

I don't really care if I get one. I want to learn maths because it's fun and can be applied to so many situations. A degree just gives me credibility to people and a higher chance of getting employed.

In which field do hou want a job?

I don't know yet. Something that I can continually learn doing. I want it to involve creativity and  not to repetitive. I'm still undecided of what I want to do but it would be related to Maths, physics, computer science or engineering. I don't know what I want to do yet but I like experimenting, discovering and creating things.

Last edited by PatternMan (2014-07-24 12:53:05)

#12 2014-07-24 12:55:01

PatternMan

bobbym wrote:

So you are blacklisted? Can you move away from that area?

Yes I have guaranteed access to your country.

#13 2014-07-24 12:59:38

ShivamS

Go to a university, take courses in those 4 subjects, major in the two you enjoy most, do an online degree for another subject (or do a triple major - some do it).

Good luck!

#14 2014-07-24 14:00:20

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes I have guaranteed access to your country.

You had better watch out for the legendary Sasquatch.

#15 2014-07-25 00:34:48

PatternMan

ShivamS wrote:

Go to a university, take courses in those 4 subjects, major in the two you enjoy most, do an online degree for another subject (or do a triple major - some do it).

Good luck!

You have to major straight away in the UK. The degrees aren't so well rounded here. They're more specialized and require more self study vs lecture time. They usually last 3 years so you have to pick your major before you start. I think you can pick for example math and physics. But you would only do the bare minimum requirements for both math and physics. Whereas if you studied one you would do lots of optional topics that you wont have time to do if studying a dual degree.

Board footer