Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-29 00:30:34

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Spring Problem

Three identical point masses of mass m each are placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle and joined through springs of equal length and spring constant k . The system is placed on a smooth table. If the masses are displaced a little towards the centroid of the triangle then time period of oscillation of the system is :

A)2π√(m/k)
B)2π√(m/2k)
C)2π/√(m/3k)
D)2π√(m/5k)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2014-12-29 21:40:01

Bob
Administrator

Re: Spring Problem

hi Agnishom,

I did this as follows:

(1) Get an equation for the tension (compression) in one spring based on an extension 'e'.

(2) Consider the (outward) forces on a single mass, trying to restore the mass to its start position.  Two springs will contribute and you'll need to resolve the tensions into a component perpendicular to the movement which you can ignore, and a component in the direction of the movement.

(3) Convert 'e' into a movement 'x' in the direction of the movement.

(4) Construct the equation of motion, with d2x/dt^2 and -x.  Hence demonstrate simple harmonic motion and derive the period.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2014-12-29 21:48:14

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bob bundy wrote:

Two springs will contribute and you'll need to resolve the tensions into a component perpendicular to the movement which you can ignore, and a component in the direction of the movement.

I cannot get such a component.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#4 2014-12-30 04:34:54

Bob
Administrator

Then I see

I am getting a sqrt(3)*kx N force outwards

elsewhere.

Here's a start:

Distinguish between 'e' along a side of the triangle, and 'x' in the direction the mass will move.

(1) T = ke.

(2) Component towards a vertex of one such force = Tcos(30).  => a pair makes 2Tcos(30)

But convert the 'e' into an 'x', the movement in the direction of travel.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2014-12-31 02:22:17

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Which is the component which can be ignored and why can it be?

#6 2015-01-01 01:41:47

Bob
Administrator

57sr5iP.gif

The larger triangle shows the rest position.  If mass A is moved inward to point D, the smaller triangle shows the masses and springs at this moment

e = AB
x = AD

The compressive force T can be split into two components, Tcos(30) towards A and Tsin(30) perpendicular to this direction.

The force on the other side is similar, so the effective force 'up' is 2Tcos(30).  The two 'across' components oppose each other and so cancel out.

Bob

#7 2015-01-01 18:04:32

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I am getting B as an answer

#8 2015-01-02 02:30:46

Bob
Administrator

Me too.  smile

Bob

#9 2015-01-02 02:40:46

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Why didn't adding the forces vectorwise work?

#10 2015-01-02 06:30:04

Bob
Administrator

You'll have to post what you tried.

Bob

Board footer