Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-24 09:45:14

3daniel

Doing math in university?

i was planning to do math in university so i talked to a math teacher, she told me that nowadays math doesn't have much work, if you do math you can only teach it, with rare exceptions. So i was wondering if people here could give me examples of what mathematicians can work in.
Even though it is not really a math problem, i thought someone here might know tongue

#2 2006-05-24 09:55:54

John E. Franklin

Re: Doing math in university?

Scientist, Statistical Analysis, MRI's use a lot of math, someone invented them.
Physicists, Civil Engineering, Invent another Rubic's cube with 3-D concepts.
But I'm not a mathematician, I was an electrical engineering major, so wait for some better responses.
There's a lot of math in electrical engineering like electric fields, very complicated.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2006-05-24 09:57:12

luca-deltodesco

physics uses alot of complex math, especcialy when moving into advanced theory and concepts
and programmers always need a certain amount of math and logic skills
if you go into graphical programming, then you need alot of math knowledge
logistics i guess uses alot of complex math, like finding trajectories of a rocket leaving earths surface on route to mars and math like that

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#4 2006-05-24 09:58:48

Ricky

Theoretical research (pretty much any open field of math, such as fields)
Cryptography
Error correcting codes
Mathimatians are commonly found as parts of engineering teams
Statistics
Financial analysis

Math doesn't have much work!  Hah!  Are you sure this wasn't supposed to go in the jokes section lol

physics uses alot of complex math, especcialy when moving into advanced theory and concepts

Physics is math, when getting into advanced fields of it.  For example, the entire framework of M-Theory, the current theory which goes on top of string theory, is entirely mathimatical.  It gets down to such a level that the only way we know how to describe things is through math.  Equations become "things", and "things" become equations.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2006-05-24 10:26:17

3daniel

I see .. that's good to hear
although some of the stuff said are actually other courses to do in university such as statistics, programming,civil engineering.
What i was thinking is who hires mathematicians?

#6 2006-05-24 10:36:31

Ricky

What i was thinking is who hires mathematicians?

Statistians, programmers, and civil engineers!!!

Yes, you can major in these as well, but most of the time, companies doing this kind of work hire mathimatians to help them out as well.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#7 2006-05-25 13:48:04

RickyOswaldIOW

How would one go about advertising themself as a mathematician so that they might be hired to do such jobs?

Aloha Nui means Goodbye.

#8 2006-05-27 20:21:40

renjer

Maths HAS loads of work, particularly when you get to advanced maths such as what I'm doing now. Actually there is a much harder maths out there called Fourier Analysis and Signal Processing. Last year I heard that no one passed that unit!

As most people here have said, physics and maths go hand in hand. Even biology needs maths (to model the behaviour of enzymes for example). One of my biology lecturers always complains that students in his class can't master basic calculus!

Board footer