Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-19 15:41:56

Al-Allo

On the same straight line there cannot be constructed two similar and

So, according to this figure :http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/e … III23.html

We cannot have similar segments of circles and unequal ones be built on the same side of the same straight line.

My question is : Can we build similar segments of circles but unequal ones ? (It seems to imply it)

The definition of similar segments of circles is : "Similar segments of circles are those which admit equal angles, or in which the angles equal one another."

Here is the link for it : http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/e … III11.html

Thank you!

#2 2015-06-19 20:04:27

Bob
Administrator

Re: On the same straight line there cannot be constructed two similar and

EDITED VERSION.

You have a chord and similar segments but on opposite sides of the chord.

Let the chord be AB and choose points C and D, on the circumference, one for each segment.

I'm not sure what is meant by 'similar' here.   If it means that the two segments are the same shape then:

Then, if segment ACB is similar to segment ADB, they must be semi-circles, and angle ACB = ADB = 90.

If it means they are segments made by the same chord then ACBD is a cyclic quadrilateral so ACB + ADB = 180.

Bob

Last edited by Bob (2015-06-19 20:59:53)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2015-06-20 04:38:01

Al-Allo

bob bundy wrote:

EDITED VERSION.

You have a chord and similar segments but on opposite sides of the chord.

Let the chord be AB and choose points C and D, on the circumference, one for each segment.

I'm not sure what is meant by 'similar' here.   If it means that the two segments are the same shape then:

Then, if segment ACB is similar to segment ADB, they must be semi-circles, and angle ACB = ADB = 90.

If it means they are segments made by the same chord then ACBD is a cyclic quadrilateral so ACB + ADB = 180.

Bob

Well, from the definition, similar just means that you have equal angles in the segments. If this is the case, we say the segments of circles are similar

#4 2015-06-20 05:18:26

Bob
Administrator

Ok thanks.  In which case go back to what I said about cyclic quadrilaterals.  ACBD is cyclic so opposite angles add to 180.  If they are also to be equal then they must both be 90 and the segments are semicircles.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer