Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-07-20 01:36:02

math9maniac

Re: simple logic yet difficult

Hi Bob,

Hope your holiday went well. Did you see the midnight sun or it's not out yet?

I don't know how but I missed this post. Thanks for reply; sorry you haven't heard from me. Actually, I just saw this. In your opinion which is better: getting the Bsc and later specializing in education, or combining and do the B.Ed at once (killing two birds with one stone)? Advantages and disadvantages.

Had you always wished to end up teaching Mathematics? Will you upgrade your knowledge and qualifications or just maintain current status?

Only a friend tells you your face is dirty.

#52 2015-07-20 04:32:25

Bob
Administrator

hi

When I began my degree I didn't know what I wanted to do afterwards.  I also thought a BSc would keep more options open.  I only decided to become a teacher after I got my degree.  I'm still wondering if I made the right decision.

We were on board a ship sailing across the North Sea and along the coast of Norway.  Our cabin was on the post side so once we were in the Artic Circle the midnight sun was shining right in our window.  Hard to get to sleep when that happens.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#53 2015-07-20 19:01:19

math9maniac

Hello Bob;
                  Would you advice I get a BSc degree or a BEd instead? Why do you doubt you made a good decision? Don't you feel joy when your student understands so much what you teach? Aren't you doing what you're good at and what you love?

The Midnight Sun: One of the wonders of creation. How many times a year do we have the midnight sun? Is it only in Norway or the other Scandinavian countries?

math9maniac.

#54 2015-07-20 19:19:32

Bob
Administrator

hi math9maniac

Would you advice I get a BSc degree or a BEd instead?

If you're asking this question then the answer is probably a BSc as it keeps your options open.  But if you know you want to be a teacher then you'll save time (and in the UK money) by going straight for the BEd.

I really enjoy teaching and I think I'm good at it, but, in UK state schools, there are a lot of children who don't want to be there and who especially don't want to do maths.  I found it very hard to deal with this.  The nice thing about helping on MIF is my 'pupils' want to 'be there'.

Because the Earth's axis is tilted relative to the plane of the orbit around the Sun, the area that is illuminated includes a circle around the pole which is always in daylight during the summer.   That is the definition of the Artic circle.  The downside is that during the winter the opposite happens and the Sun never rises above the horizon.

F4vNKzG.jpg

The latitude for the circle is about 67 degrees.  So on mid-summer's day everywhere inside that latitude will experience the midnight Sun.  We were sailing North into the region but after mid-summer.  So we probably didn't get the effect until we were a bit further North. We got all the way to Nordkapp at 71 degrees.  At the equinoxes the daytime is 12 hours everywhere on Earth.  We choose the timing of the holiday to make sure we saw midnight Sun.  The downside is you won't see the aurora because you need a dark sky for that.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#55 2015-07-21 00:54:00

math9maniac

Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for your counsel. I really appreciate it.

Take it easy with your students. I'm sure as time goes on, and with you as their leader, they'll come to like or love Math, like us.

Thanks a million once again.

Lots of love,
                      m9m.

#56 2015-07-21 01:02:28

math9maniac

This just crossed my mind: If or when an institution is searching for a Math teacher, and say, these two go for an interview, who has a higher chance of being selected, the BSc holder (because he more or less has more knowledge), or the BEd holder (because he's actually a trained teacher)?

In another scenario, if both are employed by
the same institution, who earns a higher salary?

#57 2015-07-21 02:25:20

Bob
Administrator

Hopefully they will (all else equal) choose the teacher.  You learn more from someone who is trained to teach even if they know less.

In the UK the level of (any) degree is the only factor.

Bob

#58 2015-07-21 09:56:14

math9maniac

Merci beaucoup for your assistance. This will help me make a good decision.

Board footer