Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-06 09:49:45

sassytonigirl

elementarty statistics set 4---Thanks!!

Use the given data set to complete parts (a) through (c) below. (Use α =0.05.)
x   10      8       13      9        11      14      6       4        12      7       5

y   9.15   8.15   8.73   8.77   9.26   8.11   6.13   3.11   9.13   7.26   4.73

b. Find the linear correlation coefficient, r, then determine whether there is sufficient evidence to support the claim of a linear correlation between the two variables.

The linear correlation coefficient is r = ______. (Round to three decimal places as needed.)

Determine whether there is sufficient evidence to support the claim of a linear correlation between the two variables. Choose the correct answer below.

A.  There is insufficient evidence to support the claim of a linear correlation between the two variables.
          B.  There is sufficient evidence to support the claim of a linear correlation between the two variables.
          C.  There is insufficient evidence to support the claim of a nonlinear correlation between the two variables.
          D.  There is sufficient evidence to support the claim of a nonlinear correlation between the two variables.

c. Identify the feature of the data that would be missed if part (b) was completed without constructing the scatterplot. Choose the correct answer below.
    A.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is not a straight-line pattern.
    B.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is a straight-line pattern with negative slope.
    C.  The scatterplot does not reveal a distinct pattern.
    D.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is a straight-line pattern with positive slope.

#2 2016-02-06 13:03:50

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: elementarty statistics set 4---Thanks!!

Hi;

The linear correlation coefficient is r = .816
To choose between A,B,C or D you must consult a table of critical values. Do you know how to do this?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2016-02-07 16:03:50

sassytonigirl

I'm still working on this problem.  I won't finish it tonight.  My brain is MUSH....My ENTIRE weekends are spent trying to self teach myself this stuff!

#4 2016-02-07 17:47:30

bobbym
bumpkin

Try it when you are fresh and if you can not get it then I will help.

You mentioned that you do not need this math because you are training to be a nurse. This is not quite correct. You never know what tasks or opportunities will be available to you in the future. You can not know at the present time what skills will serve you in the future. Also a nurse must have patience and mental and physical stamina too. She/he must be able to deal with difficult patients like me. To train herself she needs to do difficult tasks and math is the toughest one there is.

#5 2016-02-07 18:04:41

sassytonigirl

I have been a nurse for almost 16 years now.  There is some truth to your comment above, but being a nurse is a lot of GRAY and math is so BLACK AND WHITE.  I have no desire to be a research nurse.  I am a hands on nurse who likes to be at the bedside dealing with very difficult patients (like you, lol).  Research nurses do need this math, I however will never be that person.  I am simply taking this math because I have to as a part of the graduate nurse program.  The challenge this has presented to me is that it is online and is basically self taught.  I am doing very well in the class but absolutely ever single minute that I am not working my full time nursing job, being a wife and a mother of 2 active little girls is spent figuring out these problems.  I HATE for something to beat me so I sit here and work things over and over and over! 
Give me difficult patients who are dying with multi system organ failure and any problem you can think of and that is up my alley all day long, but this statistics stuff is for the birds!!!! 

Thank you so much for your help!

#6 2016-02-07 18:31:29

bobbym
bumpkin

But if you must deal with me and my massive organ failures you will have to know the statistics. You see I will talk math to you. I will quickly determine your math weakness is statistics and I will keep asking you those type questions. Oh nurse, what is the probability that I will survive I will ask. You of course will not be able to lie to me because I will ask for your calculations. So you see this will come in handy later.

#7 2016-02-07 18:44:31

sassytonigirl

Trust me...I can nurse you...I'll leave the calculations of stats up to you...lol 
Guess I need to get to bed. Been sitting here at this table for 12 hours now working these problems and I have to get up in 3 hours.  If you can help me with problems 3, 5, and 9 I may even fluff your pillow and give a back rub while you are in the ICU.  lol

for #3 I have 0.675 <p< 0.685 but I don't know the last part of it..The word problem.  I am assuming that it is A. no, the sample is a voluntary sample and might not be representative of the population.

#9 - I worked out and got the r score of 0.816 but I haven't done the 2 word problems under it...

AND
#5 I have done none of... 

Thanks again!

The above problem is #9.

#8 2016-02-08 02:25:18

bobbym
bumpkin

For #9, .816 is greater than .602 so I would say there is sufficient evidence, so choose B.

#9 2016-02-08 14:10:05

sassytonigirl

BOBBYM****Did you get your ceiling fixed?  I sure hope so!!!!

Yah me on #9 I figured out why B is the answer.  smile 

Use the given data set to complete parts (a) through (c) below. (Use α =0.05.)
x   10      8       13      9        11      14      6       4        12      7       5
y   9.15   8.15   8.73   8.77   9.26   8.11   6.13   3.11   9.13   7.26   4.73

r=0.816

If i had to draw a scatter plot what would it look like?  I thought it would be like an upside down u without the right side of the u going all the way back down but after reading about positive correlations i wonder if the way i graphed it is wrong.  what do you think? 

********ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS QUESTION BELOW?  IT IS ALSO APART OF #9 (THIS PROBLEM) BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL*********

c. Identify the feature of the data that would be missed if part (b) was completed without constructing the scatterplot. Choose the correct answer below.
    A.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is not a straight-line pattern.
    B.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is a straight-line pattern with negative slope.
    C.  The scatterplot does not reveal a distinct pattern.
    D.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is a straight-line pattern with positive slope.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A data set includes 103 body temperatures of healthy adult humans for which x = 98.1degrees°F and s=0.56°F. Complete parts (a) and (b) below.
a. What is the best point estimate of the mean body temperature of all healthy humans?
The best point estimate is _________degrees°F. (Type an integer or a decimal.)

*****98.1**********IS THIS ANSWER

b. Using the sample statistics, construct a 99% confidence interval estimate of the mean body temperature of all healthy humans. Do the confidence interval limits contain 98.6°F? What does the sample suggest about the use of 98.6 °F as the mean body temperature?
What is the confidence interval estimate of the population mean μ?
_______°F < μ < ________°F  (Round to three decimal places as needed.)

*************97.955 <U< 98.245*************  THIS IS ANSWER I GOT

Do the confidence interval limits contain 98.6 °F?  (no or yes)
________No
________Yes        **********NO IT DOES NOT CONTAIN 98.6***********

************************************************************THIS IS THE PART OF THE QUESTION I NEED HELP WITH*****************************I understand that the sample suggest that the use of 98.6 is NOT valid or reliable but out of the below choices I don't know what to pick...

What does this suggest about the use of 98.6 °F as the mean body temperature?
A.This suggests that the mean body temperature could be higher than 98.6 °F.
B.This suggests that the mean body temperature could be lower than 98.6 °F.
C.This suggests that the mean body temperature could be very possibly be 98.6 °F.

BOBBYM
IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THESE 2 PARTS OF THESE 2 QUESTIONS I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL...CALLING IT A NIGHT.  I ONLY GOT 2 HOURS OF SLEEP LAST NIGHT.

#10 2016-02-08 14:26:55

sassytonigirl

*******************************************************I FIGURED OUT NUMBER 9 THE LAST PART...IT IS C.....HAD WE NOT COMPLETED A SCATTERPLOT WE WOULD NOT REALIZE THAT IT IS NOT A STRAIGHT LINE PATTERN.  The scatterplot reveals a distinct pattern that is not a straight-line pattern.*************

SEE IM GETTING "BETTER".....

PLEASE JUST HELP ME WITH THE LAST PART OF NUMBER 5....

What does this suggest about the use of 98.6 °F as the mean body temperature?
A.This suggests that the mean body temperature could be higher than 98.6 °F.
B.This suggests that the mean body temperature could be lower than 98.6 °F.
C.This suggests that the mean body temperature could be very possibly be 98.6 °F.

THIS PART... the other part of the question is above....THANKS AGAIN!!!

#11 2016-02-08 15:15:24

sassytonigirl

I figured it out and went ahead and submitted my work.  Im tired of messing with it.  thanks for your help and guidance.

#12 2016-02-08 15:16:48

sassytonigirl

I got a 95!  Was very proud of myself!!!  smile

#13 2016-02-08 15:29:52

bobbym
bumpkin

Very good!

They did not fix the roof, they just moved me across the hall to another apartment. I will be moving my stuff today. Anything left? I will get to it as soon as I get back on online.

#14 2016-02-13 09:51:32

sassytonigirl

Did you get moved and settled?  I have another set of 20 questions I am working on.  I have them all done except 5 that I am having problems with.  I am going to post them in another link.  Thanks

#15 2016-02-13 10:07:08

bobbym
bumpkin

I have moved twice in 2 weeks and it still not settled.

#16 2016-02-13 13:07:16

sassytonigirl

OMG!!!!  Hopefully soon you will be settled....

#17 2016-02-14 12:37:41

bobbym
bumpkin

I am settled now.

#18 2016-02-14 13:51:31

sassytonigirl

Great!  I can't imagine moving that much!  Sure in the process you threw away tons of stuff.

#19 2016-02-14 21:34:18

bobbym
bumpkin

That is true, but I seem to collect tons more.

Board footer