Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-15 19:41:03

sisyphus

Want to get better at math

Hello.

My whole life i was always literally the worst student at math in school, college etc. I mean really terrible, to a point where my knowledge was limited to adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing integers. I was always getting negative grades, so i stopped bothering all together, until a couple of years ago i started self studying music, music theory and programming. This is where i learned that there are really interesting things one can do, provided one knows math and without it, one is limited to a very narrow subset of activities. So now, for about two years or so (on and off), i started from the very basics and trying to build my knowledge up. I wish i could do this on my own (and i tried) and not bother anyone with trivial questions, but it seems i'm only moving at a snails speed that way (still trying to master the various parts of algebra).

So, sorry for all the stupid questions in advance.

#2 2016-05-15 21:44:31

thickhead

Re: Want to get better at math

{1}Vasudhaiva Kutumakam.{The whole Universe is a family.}
(2)Yatra naaryasthu poojyanthe Ramanthe tatra Devataha
{Gods rejoice at those places where ladies are respected.}

#3 2016-05-15 23:35:55

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Learning is possible at all ages. Therefore, keep learning!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2016-05-16 00:35:46

Bob
Administrator

hi Sisyphus

Welcome to the forum.

No apology needed.  Post away.  Your queries may be the only ones I can do, so you'll be making me feel better at least.  smile

Bob

Throughout my life I learnt no music nor how to play an instrument.  When I retired I decided to build my own electric guitar.  Still struggling to play but I did discover some interesting maths in those frets.  If you like, I'll explain in easy to follow steps.

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2016-05-16 03:29:55

bobbym
bumpkin

and not bother anyone with trivial questions

There are no trivial questions, ask your questions.

I wish i could do this on my own

I did, so can you. There happens to be an easy way to do just about everything in the world, unfortunately the guys who know it do not want to tell anyone.

i'm only moving at a snails speed that way

A snail? Remember Achilles and the tortoise or the tortoise and the hare? I would suggest you trade that snail in for a tortoise. This is not a race, go at your own pace. I used to be fast and made a lot of mistakes, now I am slow and make a lot of mistakes. There is a moral in there somewhere.

Post those problems you are having.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2016-05-16 07:04:41

sisyphus

bob bundy wrote:

Throughout my life I learnt no music nor how to play an instrument.  When I retired I decided to build my own electric guitar.  Still struggling to play but I did discover some interesting maths in those frets.  If you like, I'll explain in easy to follow steps.

That's pretty cool, i went the easy way and bought a midi keyboard initially, then a full piano after i got better at playing. I think you can get pretty proficient in 2-3 years. I began from knowing absolutely nothing about music 4 years ago, to being able to play the instrument and improvise quite comfortably (i didn't have a teacher), although i still have ways to go. Would love to share some ideas on the subject with you!

bobbym wrote:

I did, so can you. There happens to be an easy way to do just about everything in the world, unfortunately the guys who know it do not want to tell anyone.

Thanks, i have thought much about this (learning and how to think about it) and have come to at least one reliable method - every time i quit, i always come back and try again (even if it takes a while). It works somewhat decently as a strategy so far.

bobbym wrote:

A snail? Remember Achilles and the tortoise or the tortoise and the hare? I would suggest you trade that snail in for a tortoise. This is not a race, go at your own pace. I used to be fast and made a lot of mistakes, now I am slow and make a lot of mistakes. There is a moral in there somewhere.

Hm... I understand the importance of really understanding the basics, but if i move too slow i may never reach my math dreams (obtaining a grasp on calculus and going beyond that!). I'm trying to figure out a good balance between going my own pace, some compromises and pushing myself to do more.

bobbym wrote:

Post those problems you are having.

Already did one and got a fast answer!

Last edited by sisyphus (2016-05-16 07:05:17)

#7 2016-05-16 07:34:00

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

but if i move too slow i may never reach my math dreams

You have the rest of your life to try...

The pursuit of knowledge is like a blind man inching towards the edge of a cliff. Each day, he goes a bit forward but at the edge he will go much faster when he advances.

Welcome to the forum!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer