Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 15:16:55

Monox D. I-Fly

[ASK] Are the Frequency and the Score Switched?

Pay attention to the table below.

The amount of students who get above average are...
A. 9 students
B. 17 students
C. 18 students
D. 26 students
I got the average as
, which is eight point something. So, I got 7 + 8 = 15 as the answer, but it was not in the option. I then assume that the frequency and score must be switched, but now I got
which is six point something, so the answer should be 10 + 15 + 5 = 30 which was not in the options either. Where did I go wrong?

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#2 2016-10-24 17:15:12

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: [ASK] Are the Frequency and the Score Switched?

Hi;

I am getting 43/5 for the mean (without switching) the answer I am getting is the same as yours.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2016-10-24 20:34:11

thickhead

I think irrespective of answers tallying or not,the first line must be score and the second frequency.For one score there is only one frequency but for different scores  same frequency may be there.Scores are given in increasing or decreasing order.

{1}Vasudhaiva Kutumakam.{The whole Universe is a family.}
(2)Yatra naaryasthu poojyanthe Ramanthe tatra Devataha
{Gods rejoice at those places where ladies are respected.}

#4 2016-10-24 22:04:22

phrontister
Real Member

Hi;

I agree with thickhead's reasoning and that the frequency and score should be switched for the problem to make sense.

If those two are switched, then the solution is one of those in the multiple-choice list.

Monox D. I-Fly has made an arithmetical error that accounts for his answer not appearing in the list.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Board footer