Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-28 20:10:01

Nigel

How do I cure carelessness?

Ok guys, I'm gonna compete in a math competition next Sunday. I've done lots of preparations, and I think I'm ready for it.

Thing is, this week, we had another competition at school. The questions were tough (like they were meant to be). This is where my problem occurs. There are at least 3~4 questions, where I could do it with an eye close, but I did it wrong. For an example, there was a question like this:

Which is the "middlest" day in 2006?

So I just thought. 2006 has 356 days. So I use (N+1)/2 to find the middle day. Answer was 183. Then I wrote down.

Jan 31, Feb 30, March 31, .... June 30.
I thought June 30 was the answer, but it was wrong because FEBRUARY ONLY HAS 28 DAYS!!! I was so mad at myself by giving away free point. Seeing that there are only 30 questions in that competition, one question could mean winning and losing. How could I forgot that February had 28 days. darn! Carelessness.....

There was also another question that asked the sum of 1+3+5+7...+25. And do you know what I calculated? I forgot it was only odd numbers, and used the formula, n/2(a+l) like this:

25/2(1+25)!!!!!

How do I cure it???? I mean my carelessness.:( Thanks.

Blog: www.lassic.blogspot.com

#2 2006-07-28 20:31:37

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Re: How do I cure carelessness?

I'm not too sure what to say to help you other than calm down. Quickly check over your work to make sure you don't do something foolish. It's not worth submitting that answer faster if it's not the right answer.

#3 2006-07-28 22:55:32

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I once had to work on rebuilding a wooden platform - it was about 1m off the ground and had to be partly pulled apart before being rebuilt. I coudn't stand on it yet, so I stood on the ground in the middle of it  - but I was surrounded by nails, beams and so on. Just reaching for a hammer could get you impaled. Every move had to be thought out. That teaches you to be careful!

But apart from that "Kung Fu" style of learning carefulness - my general exam advice is:

1. At the start, read the questions and plan your campaign - don't do them in order unless you have to. Pick the questions you can answer quickly for good points. Then move on to the next level and so. Miners call it "high-grading" - they plan the mine to reach the areas of highest grade ore first.

This enables you to think "OK, I have some good points under my belt, I can calm down now, and go for gold"

2. Towards the end of the exam you may get more points by checking your work for errors than in attempting any more questions. I find it is better to check my work some time after writing it - you get a fresh look and think "did I write THAT?"

3. Essay questions take more time than you think! I have marked papers and seen average students do well because they DIDN'T try the essay. The good students DID the essay but ran out of time!

In my book it is OK to use these tactics - they are not cheating, just using your brain on a higher level problem: how to maximise the use of your brain.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-07-29 02:56:14

Nigel

About checking: After finishing the questions, there is hardly enough time to check, so should I check while doing the questions?

And about tip no. 1, I think I've done that, since the questions are graded from easy to hard. smile

#5 2006-07-29 08:49:26

Zhylliolom
Real Member

By the way, is this a written test or oral(like where you race to buzz in with an answer against others, like a math bowl)?

#6 2006-07-29 18:21:02

Nigel

A written test.

#7 2006-08-01 23:37:43

Devantè
Real Member

Just take the good ol' cure for information overload. I recommend you look at it for hours. tongue

(Just kidding.)

#8 2006-08-05 21:26:27

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Is the competition today? Good luck, and be sure to tell us all about it when it's over. smile

#9 2006-08-05 22:46:19

Devantè
Real Member

Good luck Nigel, hope you do well in the written test. Just remember not to speed ahead - Just say to yourself 'I have plenty of time...I have plenty of time...' over and over. Works for me - But don't say that all the time, as you sometimes have to work pretty fast! wink

When I'm in competitions, I try not to be too nervous. Anxiety almost always ends up in failure. Try to visualize who and what you are up against before or during the test (try to do it before). Also, nervousness (don't take this part of my advice too seriously) can help, occasionally. I don't know why, but it makes you 'burst' out answers. I don't recommend trying it, though. Only use it in emergencies (on the easy questions, not on the harder questions). Don't get distracted by anything else, like the colour of the paper, of the fact that your long test isn't stapled right (or isn't stapled at all). Just keep your cool, and try to work through the test at a slow and steady pace. After all, slow and steady wins the race - And sometimes careful and speedy does, too.

Board footer